This is a comfort casserole. It makes my belly happy and my mind happy.
I love combining tasty vegetables together with rice to make a complete dinner in a casserole dish! This recipe is very easy to make and makes alot!
So make sure you are hungry or prepare for leftovers! We adapted this recipe from here.
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups of button mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ cup dairy free butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 T, gluten free all purpose flour (I use Better Batter)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs
- Bring 4 cups of veggie broth to a boil. Add in rice. Cook over medium heat for about 35-40 minutes or until done. When done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare broccoli. I prefer to steam mine until tender, but you can also boil. Pick your method and set your cooked broccoli aside.
- In a large pot melt your dairy free butter; add in your onions and mushrooms. Saute for 3 minutes
- Next, add in your carrots and celery, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in beans.
- Add your gluten free all purpose flour to the vegetablesbean mixture, stir to mix.
- Pour your remaining broth on the veggies/beans. Bring to a boil and allow to thicken (about 3-4 minutes)
- In a slightly oiled casserole dish, place half the cooked rice and then half the broccoli.
- Pour half your onion,mushroom, carrot and celery/bean mixture on top of the broccoli and rice. Continue layering until all ingredients are in the bowl.
- Melt 2 T of your dairy free butter and mix with your gluten free panko crumbs. Stir to combine, then put this mixture on top of your casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes covered with foil, then remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until your have a perfect golden brown layer on top!