If you are a reader of the blog, you have read many times before that we love dips! Hummus is one of our favorite things, but with Toddler Veg’s diagnosis of multiple food allergies including peanuts/tree nuts we have stayed away from store bought hummus. Its not worth the risk of a cross contamination with the tahini in the products. So we have had fun creating our own at home. Honestly the ingredients are simpler and our home products are tastier!
- 1 can of chickpeas or dry bean equivalent
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced very small
- Heat 1 T of oil in pan and carmelize the onions. It should take about 8-10 minutes. Add more oil if needed.
- Puree drained chickpeas and onions in a food processor. Add a touch more oil if too dry to mix.
- When hummus is smooth, enjoy!