This is a yummy recipe I had at my mom’s group a while back and my friend passed me her official recipe! (thanks, Melinda!) I’ll have to repost later with a picture so you can see the cheesy goodness!
- * 4 cups lowfat milk
- * 2 cups water
- * 1 tsp salt (divided)
- * 1 1/4 cups uncooked quick cooking grits
- * 1 cup (4oz.) shredded parmesean cheese
- * 1/2 tsp black pepper
- * 5 large egg whites
- * 6 TBSP chopped fresh chives (or green onions)
- * 2 tsp butter (melted)
- * cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine milk, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Add grits, stirring with a whisk. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheese and pepper. Cool 5 minutes.
- Place remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and egg whites in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold grits into the egg whites and add the chives. Spoon mixture into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top the grits with the melted butter. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yields 8 servings.