Pizza Burgers…mmmm Just thinking of this sandwich makes me a bit hungry! There is just something comforting about this sandwich! The warm portabella mushrooms gives such a filling and deep taste to the sandwich. I used vegan cheese to top my sandwich but feel free to use your favorite cheese! We adapted this recipe from one of Rachel Ray’s recipes. Its a keeper!
Its a messy sandwich but excellent!
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 oz of pizza or tomato sauce
- 2 slices of white "cheese" dairy or non dairy
- 2 gluten free buns
- Gently wash the mushroom caps and remove stems. Place the caps into a gallon size baggie with the olive oil, balsamic and oregano. Let marinate 10 minutes on each side.
- Heat skillet, cook caps for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place cap "bottom side up" on bun. Split sauce between the caps. Top with cheese and reaming bun.
The heat from the mushroom will warm the pizza sauce and melt the cheese. If not you can preheat the sauce or put the entire sandwich under the broiler.
I shared this yummy recipe at my friend Lauren’s, Allergy Love Fest link up…Over at Epi Family!