Tuna Casserole is somewhat of a comfort food. But what about meat eaters turned vegetarian? Check out this Vegetarian Mock Tuna Casserole.
This particular recipe is a remake of an old recipe on our site. Years ago we made Un Tuna Casserole and posted about it. While it was delicious, we shared a blurry and over exposed picture of it. Times are changing. We are better photographers (still lots of room to improve) and we tweaked the recipe a bit…so we are going to republish! Updates are always a good thing!
I made my recipe using dairy products BUT you can easily make it vegan. I have done that in the past as well. I also used fresh English peas but you are welcome to use frozen peas. For the gluten-free pasta, I used a chickpea based pasta for some extra protein and more earthy flavor!
This dish is very simple to make! Take a look at this quick video to see just how simple!
My sweet friend Margaret over at MI Gluten Free Gal made this recipe with some genius adaptations. She added some potato chips on the top and pickle juice to the dish. YUM! She’s one smart cookie! Be sure to check out her site and all the fun things she is up to!
- 2 T butter
- ½ c diced onion
- ¼ c gluten free all purpose flour
- 3½ cups milk
- salt and peppers to season
- 1½ cup peas
- 1½ cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 cups cheese
- 1 box of gluten free pasta (cooked)
- Melted butter and saute onions until soft.
- Add milk and warm.
- Slowly add in flour to thicken. Whisk until smooth.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Stir to coat.
- Bake at 350 Degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until warm and most of the liquid is absorbed.