This is a comfort casserole. It makes my belly happy and my mind happy.
I love combining tasty vegetables together with rice to make a complete dinner in a casserole dish! This recipe is very easy to make and makes alot!
So make sure you are hungry or prepare for leftovers! We adapted this recipe from here.
Looking for other allergy-friendly recipes? All our recipes are nut-free and gluten-free. We also have vegan recipes too!
Broccoli Bean Casserole – #glutenfree
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 2 heads broccoli cut into small pieces
- 2 cups of button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 4 T gluten free all purpose flour (I use Better Batter)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs
- Bring 4 cups of veggie broth to a boil. Add in rice. Cook over medium heat for about 35-40 minutes or until done. When done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare broccoli. I prefer to steam mine until tender, but you can also boil. Pick your method and set your cooked broccoli aside.
- In a large pot melt your dairy free butter; add in your onions and mushrooms. Saute for 3 minutes
- Next, add in your carrots and celery, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in beans.
- Add your gluten free all purpose flour to the vegetablesbean mixture, stir to mix.
- Pour your remaining broth on the veggies/beans. Bring to a boil and allow to thicken (about 3-4 minutes)
- In a slightly oiled casserole dish, place half the cooked rice and then half the broccoli.
- Pour half your onion,mushroom, carrot and celery/bean mixture on top of the broccoli and rice. Continue layering until all ingredients are in the bowl.
- Melt 2 T of your dairy free butter and mix with your gluten free panko crumbs. Stir to combine, then put this mixture on top of your casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes covered with foil, then remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until your have a perfect golden brown layer on top!