Ah, its getting to be that time of year! The candy canes are taking over the endcaps in the grocery stores! We really love Spangler Candy Canes! They are allergy friendly and are free of artificial dyes. My boys are cookie lovers so I thought I’d create a fun candy cane cookie recipe!
Need more gluten-free dessert recipes? Visit the Recipe Index to see all of our recipes, or try one of these: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Lemon Cranberry Cookies, Gluten Free Brownie Trifle, or Triple Chocolate Cake!
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (I use Better Batter)
- ½ teaspoon gluten free baking soda
- 4 T vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
- 2 candy canes (crushed into small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the shortening, sugar, vanilla, maple syrup and applesauce.
- Next, mix in your gluten free flour and baking soda. Beat on low until mixed.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop dough balls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet or baking mat.
- Bake for 11 minutes (for soft cookies), 14 minutes for a crisp cookie or until toothpick can be inserted into the center of a cookie and it comes out clean.