Eating without certain foods, does not mean you are missing out. Take this dairy-free cheesy baked cauliflower. It is full of flavor and a little spice!
Sometimes a comfort dish comes in the form of a side dish. I know that is true for my family. Getting the kids to eat cauliflower can be tricky in my house. Add in some cheese and my kids are pretty much in. For this recipe we used a dairy-free cheese and a secret ingredient to give it some spice!
It all starts with a beautiful cauliflower. This time of year the cauliflower selection is yielding some smaller varieties but they still taste delicious! While this recipe is easy to make, it does involve boiling and baking. Boiling helps to soften the cauliflower to your desired tenderness.
The dairy-free sauce for our Cheesy Baked Cauliflower is thickened with some all-purpose gluten-free flour by Enjoy Life Foods. This flour contains 5 grams of protein per serving and gives you some probiotics along the way. Just like all ELF products, this one is free from the TOP 8 most common food allergens.
Wondering what the secret ingredient is that gives this Cheesy Baked Cauliflower a kick? I add in some Sriracha to the sauce. The trick is getting just the right balance. The kids like less of a kick but my husband and I like MORE of a kick. So feel free to adjust the amount of Sriracha.
If your kids do not like any spice, you could cut the cauliflower in half and make two cheese sauces. One without Sriracha and one with. Then top each cauliflower half and bake. Problem solved.
Are you ready to get cooking? Let’s check out this recipe!
- one cauliflower head leaves removed
- 3 T vegan butter
- 2 T all-purpose gluten-free flour by Enjoy Life Foods
- 1 cup dairy-free milk I used hemp
- 2 T Sriracha Sauce
- 10 oz of vegan pepper jack cheese shreds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Boil a large pot of water and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil entire cauliflower head in water for 6-8 minutes. You want the cauliflower to be soft but not mushy.
- While your cauliflower head is boiling, you will make the cheese sauce.
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add flour to butter and stir to combine. Add in milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add 3/4 of the cheese to pot. Stir until well combined. You will need to constantly stir.
- When cauliflower is done boiling, remove from water. Place cauliflower head into an oiled baking dish.
- Gently pour cheese sauce over cauliflower head. Then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 15-20 or until cauliflower can be easily broken apart with a spoon.
- Top with parsley and ENJOY!
This dish reheats well.
Did you make this recipe?Be sure to snap a picture and post it to Instagram with the hashtag #VegetarianMamma! I love seeing our recipes being recreated!
It is THAT easy! This dish is perfect for all times of year. It will make a beautiful and delicious side for any holiday dinner or Sunday supper! Heading to a potluck? This is a great dish to bring to show how delicious allergy-friendly recipes are!
Thank you to Enjoy Life Foods for sponsoring this recipe.
Hungry for more? Check out all of our SIDE DISH recipes!