Gluten-Free Pigs in a blanket is a delicious and allergy-friendly re-creation of a classic childhood treat! These pigs in a blanket use a delicious gluten-free pizza dough that turns into a warm bread like wrapper!
Gluten-Free Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a blanket was always a special treat when I was growing up. I remember going to the store and getting some rolls in a tube and a pack of cocktail dogs for whatever the special occasion was.
Today, it is not quite that easy. There are not any gluten-free rolls in a tube. Someday, I hope there are, but not right now!
So that just means we have to get creative! I have been pretty lucky when I’ve tried creating things with the Enjoy Life Foods Pizza Crust Mix! You might remember those delicious Lemon Donuts from a while back!
So I thought if I adjusted the mix a little, we might be able to use it as the breading for the hotdogs! It worked!
How to Make Gluten-Free Pigs in A Blanket
The entire recipe is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here’s a quick overview of how to make them.
#1 Roll Out the Dough
Once you mix the dough ingredients together you are going to roll out the dough. I rolled it onto parchment paper. I think it is so much easier to work it on parchment paper.
I rolled mine to about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick.
#2 Cut the Dough Into Triangles
Then using a knife, I cut the dough into a rectangle. Then I cut the dough into strips. The key is that you want the strips to be slightly less wide then your hotdog pieces.
#3 Cut Veggie Dogs Into Thirds
I used a jumbo veggie dog and cut mine into thirds. You can use any size hotdog, you will just need to adjust your dough size and your baking time.
#4 Wrap the Dogs With the Pizza Crust
Now all you have to do is wrap up the dogs with the crust and bake them.
Best Dip for Gluten-Free Vegetarian Pigs in A Blanket
The hardest part is waiting for the dogs to bake! But while you are waiting you can get your condiments ready. I personally like to dip mine into ketchup and mustard!
Or maybe honey mustard sauce is more your speed? That is pretty easy to make too!
Let’s get onto this recipe!
Gluten Free Pigs in a Blanket (Allergy Friendly)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pizza dough mix, water and oil. Mix until blended. Mix will have a crumble texture.
- Take 1/3 of the dough at a time and roll into a rectangle. Dough should be 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch tall. Using a knife cut dough into strips. The width of the strips will depend on your hotdog size. You want the strips to be slightly LESS wide than the hotdog pieces.
- Cut your hotdogs into pieces. I used a jumbo veggie dog and cut it into thirds.
- Pour a dab of oil onto your hands to help with the handling of the dough. Gently roll your hotdog piece with a strip of dough. Once the dough covers the hotdog, pinch the dough together to make a seam and discard the remaining dough back into the bowl. I did not overlap the dough. Just went around the hotdog one time.
- Roll all your hotdogs into the dough, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Serve immediately with ketchup and mustard! ENJOY!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Easy Peasy! I hope that you enjoy these! Looking for more gluten-free recipes? Especially ones that use Enjoy Life Food products? Check out these recipes:
Let’s talk! Have you ever had pigs in a blanket? What is your favorite snack?