These homemade gluten free tagalong cookies will disappear quickly because these copycat girl scout tagalongs are delicious!
This post was sponsored by Schar. The opinions are my own.
Homemade Gluten Free Tagalong Cookies
These cookies have been in my life for a long time. Honestly, I remember making these cookies at home with my mom way before I had ever tried peanut butter girl scout cookies!
My mom and I would always make huge batches of these cookies every holiday season. They were so easy to make that as a child I could easily assist in the making and of course taste testing of each batch.
This salty sweet combo is one that you just cannot resist!
Why Make Your Own Gluten Free Tagalong Cookies
I was a girl scout for a fleeting moment or two but I honestly don’t remember ever selling Girl Scout Cookies! I do, however, remember eating them as an adult!
They even have a couple of gluten free girl scout cookie options nowadays. How can you resist gf girl scout cookies?
Times have changed slightly, and we have needed to switch up some of our ingredients. For example, back then we used to use almond bark.
It might seem easier to buy your girl scout cookies but making your own is so worth it. Here are just a few reasons:
- Just 3 Ingredients – Yup just 3 is all you need.
- You can control the ingredients. We needed to make these gluten free. You can also use Sunseed butter if you need to keep these peanut free. And we also used dairy free chocolate chips as well.
- Quick and easy to make. Homemade cookies in just 20 minutes? Yes please.
- Give as a gift. You can also make these for the holidays. Top the with sprinkles and package up as a gift.
Ingredients Needed For These Gluten Free Tagalong Cookies
- Gluten Free Schar Entertainment Crackers
- Peanut butter or Sunseed butter
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
Pretty much almond bark is a no-go since we have a family member who has a life threatening almond allergy, but if you do not, you can certainly use that as your chocolate of choice.
We have also adapted the peanut butter filling. Peanut butter is a great filler but our house we are in love with SunButter. We love the SunSeed spread and use it most times in place of peanut butter.
We used to also use a wheat cracker. That is a definite no-go for 50% of my household! So we’ve made this into an easy gluten free cookies recipe by using some delicious gf crackers!
How To Make These Gluten Free Tagalong Cookies
For this recipe, you have to have the perfect kind of cracker. The Entertainment Crackers from Schar fits the bill! We choose this delicious cracker because it is sturdy enough for us to slather on our “butter” and dip into chocolate!
Are these cookies good for a cookie exchange?
Yes, these homemade girl scout cookies are perfect for your holiday cookie exchange! They are pretty sturdy, so they travel well and can be shipped. Keep in mind that if you ship, it needs to be a place where the cookies will not get too hot and melt the chocolate!
Should I store these cookies in my refrigerator?
It is up to you! I personally like to store this tagalong cookie recipe in the fridge so the cookies are extra crunchy!
Can I use a different type of “butter”?
Yes, you can use whatever is your favorite. SunSeed Butter, Peanut Butter and Almond Butter are all good choices! You add in what works for you!
What other types of toppings can I use besides sprinkles?
If you are making these cookies around the Holidays, I would suggest adding crushed up candy canes to the top of the cookies! The bright color contrast will be beautiful and the addition of the peppermint taste will be delicious!
Can I use white chocolate?
Yes, you can use white chocolate instead of a milk or dark chocolate!
Do I have to share?
Well if you can stop yourself without eating the entire batch, it is probably best to share! However, I will tell you that they are pretty addicting, so you better just make a double batch. That will ensure the entire family will get some!
Looking for more recipes that use Schar products:
If you are a huge chocolate lover, like myself and you are already baking for the holiday, I would suggest that you whip up some Chocolate Lava Cake!
Pin this tagalongs recipe for later:
Check out how easy this gluten free cookie recipe is:
Homemade Gluten Free Tagalong Cookies
- 1 bag Schar Entertainment Crackers 6.2 oz
- 1 cup Sunseed Butter (or peanut or almond butter)
- 1 bag chocolate chips I used dairy free
- sprinkles optional
- Place crackers on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread sunseed butter on one cracker then put another cracker on top. (make a little cracker sandwich) Do this to all crackers.
- Over low heat, melt the chocolate chips in a sauce pan. Be sure to continually stir.
- Once melted, dip the cracker sandwiches one at a time into the melted chocolate. Gently move around to coat. Place cookies onto parchment paper. Repeat for all.
- Add sprinkles now if you like. Let cookies rest until chocolate hardens. You can put into the fridge, freezer or even outside if it is cold enough to help the chocolate "set".
Question: Have you had tagalongs before? Have you ever made them at home? This recipe is so easy that you need to try it this holiday season!