Spaghetti with roasted cherry tomato sauce is a simple, yet tasty meal that you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes. It is perfect for busy nights.
When to Make Homemade Tomato Sauce
This dish can be made at any time of year. You can use garden tomatoes or store-bought tomatoes. We love to get crafty with creating sauces with roasted tomatoes.
You might remember our Roasted Tomato and Pepper Sauce recipe we posted last summer.
What are the best-sized tomatoes for homemade sauce?
While you can roast any size of tomato, we used cherry tomatoes for this recipe. The small size of the cherry tomatoes was perfect for what we needed.
I love the color of these tomatoes! So much goodness right there on that baking sheet! I tossed the sliced tomatoes with some oil olive oil and garlic salt.
Then into the oven they went!
Vegetarian Tomato Sauce with Capers and Olives
This recipe also boasts some delicious capers and kalamata olives. Those two are a favorite combo of mine. I use that pairing quite often in my dishes. I love the flavor profile they create when paired together!
How to Make Homemade Vegetarian Tomato Sauce
The easiest way to make a tomato sauce that you can use on any pasta that you like (even penne and macaroni) is to roast the tomatoes. There are literally 2 steps:
- Chop the tomatoes. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Roast the tomatoes. Roast them for only 15 minutes.
- Toss into the pasta. When they are finished roasting, put the tomatoes into your favorite pasta. Toss the pasta and it will be coasted with the juicy tomatoes.
Are you getting hungry? Don’t you just want to sink your fork into the picture for a taste? Okay, let’s get to that recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss sliced tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast in the 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- While tomatoes are roasting, prepare pasta, per the directions on the box and set aside.
- When tomatoes are done add them to the pasta. Then add in the olives and capers.
- If pasta sticks together you can add in a touch of olive oil (1-2T).
- Gently stir to combine.
- Top with parsley as a garnish, if you like.
Did you make this recipe?Be sure to snap a picture and post it to Instagram with the hashtag #VegetarianMamma! I love seeing our recipes being recreated!
Let’s talk! Leave me a comment telling me if you have ever made your own pasta sauce by roasting tomatoes? What else did you add in? Are you a tomato lover?
More Gluten-Free Pasta Recipes
It’s easy to eat both gluten-free and vegetarian. Here are some more of my family’s favorite recipes.