Southwest Skillet is a simple, easy-to-make meal that is a welcoming relief for those busy weeknights. It is a crowd-pleaser, that will leave your family coming back for more.
Easy Vegetarian Skillet Dinner
If you are looking for a delicious, quick meal for those busy nights, this one is for you! It has minimal ingredients but it is full of flavor! You are going to love this!
It tastes like a takeout burrito bowl. In fact, you could probably eat this for lunch or dinner, it works perfectly for either one.
What’s in your favorite vegetarian skillet meal?
We all have our favorite skillet meals. The ones where you literally fry up everything in one pan. This one has all the flavors of the southwest. It’s a bit of Tex-Mex right in my kitchen.
For my skillet dinner I used:
- Black beans
Here is your recipe for the Southwest Skillet! Our family loves this meal because its a dump and go type of meal. Dump in the ingredients, heat and you are ready to eat. Can I get an OH YES for an easy meal! Phew, those are always a welcome relief for busy busy busy nights!
The easiest way to serve this meal is right in a bowl. Here are some more ideas too:
- Stuffings of tacos or tortillas
- With lettuce for a southwest salad
- Add vegetable broth for southwest soup
Other Ways to Make The Meal
I love using my cast iron skillet. Since you are using all cooked ingredients, it only takes a few minutes to make. However, here are some other ways you can make this too:
- Slow Cooker – The slow cooker will change the consistency and texture of the meal, so I don’t prefer this option. You can put uncooked rice in with water and the rest of the ingredients. Add the cheese and cilantro last. Let this cook for only 4-6 hours on low. It’s a good option if you don’t have cooked rice on hand.
- Instant Pot – If you don’t have any cooked rice, then you might want to use your Instant Pot. It makes white rice in about 8 minutes. The Instant Pot page has all the details. Then, you just have to put all the ingredients in and cook for about 5 more minutes. Dinner is ready in no time at all.
- Oven – If you have all the ingredients cooked and ready to go but you don’t want to (or don’t have time to) stand over the stove, you can make this recipe in the oven. Just put everything in a casserole dish and heat for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ c shredded cheese
- 2 T fresh cilantro chopped
- In a skillet, mix the cooked rice, black beans, corn and salsa. Stir until heated.
- Top with cheese and stir.
- Top with cilantro and ENJOY!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Be sure to check out our Recipes Index at the top of the page!
Let’s talk! Leave me a comment telling me how you’d enjoy this? As is? As stuffing in tacos? Any ingredients that you would add in?
Easy Vegetarian Family Meal Ideas
Here are some more of my favorite family meal ideas. All of them are gluten-free too!