This Southwest Zucchini Casserole is perfect for those busy weeknights. Those nights where you need to make dinner fast.
Busy Weeknight Dinner Idea
With fall upon us, our schedules always seem to get busier. Our family enjoys casseroles on those busy nights! The southwest zucchini casserole combines a lot of the staples you may already have in your pantry such as rice, beans, tomatoes. As always you can use fresh, frozen or canned food ingredients for this recipe.
Looking for other allergy-friendly recipes? All of our recipes are nut-free and gluten-free. We also have vegan recipes too!
What to Put in the Casserole
The best thing about this recipe is that you can be as creative with it as you want. The cooked rice really ties it all together nicely. But if you want, you could also use some gluten-free pasta instead.
Here’s what I put in the casserole.
- Bell pepper
- Black beans
- Black olives
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Cooked rice
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, this can be stored in the freezer and used as a make-ahead meal too. Just store it in a dish that you can put in the oven. Here’s how to make it and freeze it.
- Follow the directions in the recipe.
- Let it cool completely.
- Store in a freezer-safe container with a lid that can also be used in the oven. (Like a disposable aluminum pan).
- Seal it with a lid. Write the recipe name and date on the dish
When you are ready to cook it, just let it defrost in the refrigerator the night before. Then, heat it at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until it is completely warm.
Southwest Zucchini Casserole
- Heat oil over a medium heat in skillet.
- Saute zucchini and bell pepper until softened.
- Add black beans, olives, corn and tomatoes to skillet, heat.
- Add rice to mixture, stir mixture.
- Place skillet mixture into an oiled casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until warmed throughout. (If you want to add cheese, you can do so in the last 5 minutes of baking. Just add to the top of the casserole.)
Do you utilize casseroles on those busy weeknights? Leave me a comment, tell me your go-to weeknight meal!