Vegetable Lentil Stew is the perfect comfort meal for a chilly day. This lentil stew recipe will warm your heart and body with wonderful flavors.
This is a dish that my family has been enjoying for years. I actually remember the day we had it, it was eight years ago. Funny how some food sticks in your memories.
I love this dish. It is very hearty and fills me up. It is a ‘stick to your bones’ type of meal. You will not go hungry after eating Vegetable Lentil Stew.
Is Lentil Soup Healthy?
Absolutely. Lentils are very beneficial for heart health. They can provide vitamins, minerals and fiber to your diet.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make This Vegetarian Lentil Stew
- Vegetables: stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, peppers, and spinach
- Beans/Legumes: Lentils and chickpeas
- Seasoning/Spices: Parsley, cumin, chili powder,
Red Gold Tomato Products
I made this dish using Red Gold Tomato products. I was recently asked to come to Indiana to visit some Red Gold Farms, tour some Red Gold factories and meet some amazing people. I was truly amazed at what I saw.
Red Gold is like a giant family. The owners know the growers and their family. They are all-in, fully vested. I was lucky enough to be able to sit with the owners at dinner one night.
It was amazing to hear the story of how their tomato journey began. One huge factor that has drawn me to Red Gold is that they are allergy aware. Just check out this label below.
While there we visited a field and learned how the tomatoes are harvested. The entire process was very interesting. We were able to meet some of the workers and the owners of Triple S Farms.
We toured two of their local Indiana factories. We could not take a lot of pictures of the inside, but seeing the equipment in motion was incredible.
One memorable event was the tomato tasting event. We were given the chance to sample and taste tomatoes from Red Gold as well as other brands to compare them. I was a bit nervous about this exercise. But after tasting the tomatoes it was clear who the best was.
The color, shape, size, texture and taste of Red Gold tomatoes are FAR superior to other brands. I was able to see that with my own eyes and taste that with my own palate. #honestopinion
I was invited to attend this press trip, however I did not receive any additional compensation. The opinions are my own. This post does contain an amazon affiliate link to Red Gold Tomatoes.
Photo Credit: Red Gold Photographer Ivan & Louise Photography
Can You Freeze This Lentil Stew?
You definitely can. Allow the stew to cool an then place into a sealable container.
When ready to enjoy, allow to thaw in the refrigerator and then re-heat on the stovetop.
Don’t forget to label the container of when you froze it!
What Color Lentils Should I Use For This Stew?
You can really use any color you want of lentils. All will work great in this stew.
How Long Does Lentil Stew Last?
This vegetarian lentil stew will last about 3 to 4 days in your refrigerator. You can always freeze any leftovers.
More Soup Recipes
- Rustic Potato Soup
- Sick Soup- Best Soup For A Cold!
- Creamy Mushroom Rice Soup
- Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Taco Soup (+ StoveTop Directions)
Vegetable Lentil Stew + Red Gold Farm Tour
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cans 14-1/2 ounces each stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 5 small red potatoes cubed, skin on
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed (color optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the fresh spinach. Bring all ingredients to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce heat and simmer covered for 40 minutes. (or until lentils are done)
- Stir in fresh spinach, stir until wilted.
- Serve and ENJOY!
- Freezing directions: You definitely can. Allow the stew to cool an then place into a sealable container. When ready to enjoy, allow to thaw in the refrigerator and then re-heat on the stovetop. Don't forget to label the container of when you froze it!
- Recipe modified and adapted from here.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Leave me a comment telling me your favorite thing to make with canned tomatoes. If you are loving the Vegetable Lentil Stew recipe, tell me what your favorite ingredient is from the recipe.