Vegetarian Coconut Curry Soup
This vegetarian coconut curry soup is perfect for the weekend or a busy week night. This family friendly soup curry is also gluten-free and vegan. You are going to love the tofu and Thai flavors in this soup!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 tofu block
- 2 T oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and diced
- 1 c onion diced
- 1 leek diced
- 1 c mushrooms diced
- 5 asparagus stalks diced
- 1/2 c carrots diced
- 2/3 c peas
- 1 1/2 c red cabbage diced
- 1 T red curry paste
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 4 c potatoes diced
- 3 1/2 c kale destemmed
First, you are going to prep your tofu for this delicious coconut curry soup. Remove the tofu from the package, drain liquid. Insert tofu into the press. Tightening the handles gently and press tofu for 10-15 minutes, tightening every 4 minutes as necessary. Drain liquid, set tofu aside.
In a large pot, over medium heat, warm the oil. Then saute the onion, ginger, leek, mushrooms, carrots, peas and cabbage.
Next, add in the red curry paste, coconut milk, broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, boil until potatoes are soft.
Add kale to soup, let the heat from the soup, soften the kale.
Using an immersion blender (or spoon hot soup into a blender) blend/pulse the mixture to make it smooth.
In a skillet over medium heat, saute the tofu (cut it into bite sized pieces) until golden brown. When golden add the tofu to the blended soup.
Garnish with more shredded cabbage and cilantro if you wish! ENJOY!
- Make it spicy. If you like it with a little heat, try adding some red pepper flakes to this soup.
- Use what you have on hand. This soup is chock full of veggies, but you can use up what you have on hand. It's a great way to clean out your pantry.
- Make it more substantial. It already has potatoes in it, but you could try swapping those or adding in quinoa or rice instead.
- Add meat if you want. Of course this is a vegetarian soup, but you could always add in 1 cup chopped chicken breast for the meat lovers.
- Make it thicker or thinner. You could change the consistency of the soup by adding or reducing the amount of coconut milk if you want it a little thicker or thinner.
Calories: 510kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Sodium: 694mg | Potassium: 1321mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 7133IU | Vitamin C: 89mg | Calcium: 245mg | Iron: 11mg