Skip the restaurant and make easy Sofritas at home! This easy vegan recipe for copycat sofritas is the perfect filling for bowls, burritos, tacos, nachos, and more!
WHAT MAKES THIS SOFRITAS RECIPE SO GOOD?
- We LOVE a good CopyCat Recipe! Chipotle has helped make eating out as a vegetarian or vegan much easier, but I don't always love their prices when I know I can make something similar myself.
- Quick and Easy! These Sofritas are the perfect substitute for busy weeknights. They are quick and easy to make and filled with soy sauce, tomatoes, salsa, bell peppers, and onions!
- Customizable and KID friendly! We LOVE LOVE LOVE that you can easily make this your own. It provides the perfect BASE for dinner! Don't like a certain ingredient typically in a sofritas bowl? Leave it out? This makes for an easy way to feed the most picky families!
- Works for all meals of the day. We love to eat these sofritas all day long! Toss the sofritas with some scrambled eggs and make a breakfast burrito or have a traditional bowl for lunch or dinner!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR SOFRITAS
- Double batch this recipe! We like to double batch this recipe and use it for a meal prepped option all week long!
- Be creative in how your use your sofritas! Think beyond the bowl! Think breakfast burrito, nachos and more! If you really want to cook up a storm make these Tortilla Chips in the Air Fryer then toss your sofritas on top with other toppings! YUM!
- Be sure to press your tofu! We like firm or extra firm tofu. Pressing the tofu will get rid of the extra water and it will cook up faster and absorb the flavors better!
- Reheating: Put your sofritas into a sauce pan and cover for about 5 minutes and stir. If still not heated through enough, cook another few minutes and check again. The reheat time will depend on how many servings you are reheating at once!
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU SOFRITAS
- Oil - Saute the ingredients in your favorite mild flavored oil. Olive oil or avocado oil works well for this.
- Red Onion - I love the bit of red onion in cooked dishes, but you could use any type of cooking onion.
- Bell Pepper - any color bell pepper would work in this recipe. Red and orange peppers tend to be sweeter than green ones.
- Extra Firm Tofu - Press your tofu block using the instructions below.
- Soy Sauce - Add salt, umami flavor and richness with soy sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Use vinegar to add extra flavor and brightness to your sofritas.
- Garlic Salt - I add garlic to almost everything. It's perfect in this dish.
- Liquid Smoke - Liquid smoke adds a grilled flavor without having to grill anything.
- Tomato Sauce - Use your favorite tomato sauce here, but avoid pizza or marinara that has extra seasonings in it.
- Salsa - As hot or as mild as you like, pick whichever you like.
MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN RECIPES
- Make Tofu Fried Rice using leftover rice and veggies in your fridge.
- Air Fryer Mushroom Tacos are an amazing Mexican dish and so easy to make in the air fryer.
- Let me show you how I make Air Fryer Tofu. It's so crispy!
- Crispy Orange Tofu takes crispy tofu to the next level with a sweet and savory orange sauce.
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey - If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook, too!
- Tofu press
- rice or quinoa
- black beans
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the oil, onions, and bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are softened.
- Press the tofu using the EZ Tofu Press, for 10 minutes. Tighten the knobs every 2 to 3 minutes. Then, place the tofu in the saucepan and mash with a fork
- Add the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic salt, liquid smoke, tomato sauce, and salsa. Stir to combine and continue to cook until all ingredients are heated through.
- Serve your sofritas in a bowl with rice, black beans, lettuce, and cilantro. Enjoy!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.