This Tofu Fried Rice Recipe is hearty Asian-inspired dish that is filled with hearty protein and veggies. This takeout-style recipe is fun to make and so flavorful!
This post is sponsored by the EZ Tofu Press.
TOFU FRIED RICE RECIPE
This Tofu Fried Rice Recipe is an easy and yummy way to enjoy the flavors of your favorite takeout fried rice right at home! I love making internationally inspired tofu recipes like Tofu with Spanish Rice and Beans and my favorite Curry Tofu with Broccoli and Rice.
Making takeout style tofu at home is easier than you think, and I love that I know exactly which ingredients are going into the recipe. This vegetable fried rice recipe has crispy tofu, soft and tender rice, and brightly colored veggies, all pan fried and tossed in a sesame-soy-sriracha sauce.
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU FRIED RICE
Tofu - One package of firm tofu is just the right amount for this recipe.
Cornstarch for coating the tofu - This is optional, but I find that it really makes the tofu nice and crispy.
Cooking oil - for sauteing the tofu and the rice.
Eggs (whisked) - scrambled eggs add tons of protein to this dish.
Cooked rice - I like to use rice that I cooked a day before and use it right out of the fridge.
Frozen Corn - a sweet and colorful addition.
Frozen Peas and Carrots - extra veggies are always welcome in my rice.
Sesame oil - This is what gives fried rice it's smoky, rich flavor.
Soy sauce - Adds color and flavor to your rice.
Sriracha - A little bit of spice is great in this recipe. Leave it out if you aren't a fan.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
Wondering how you press tofu? Well you use a special gadget! The EZ Tofu Press takes the liquid out of your firm or extra firm tofu easily, quickly, and with less mess than using plates and cans. This press utilizes simple mechanics and quality materials to ensure that it’s long-lasting and easy to use.
The plastic is BPA free and the grommets and screws are stainless steel. You can wash the EZ tofu Press by hand or in the dishwasher. Visit their website to learn more about this awesome product, or order yours now at Amazon.com.
HOW TO PREPARE TOFU FOR STIR FRYING
- Place your tofu into your tofu press and press for about 10-12 minutes, turning the press every 3-4 minutes to remove as much moisture as possible.
- When your tofu is done pressing, dice it into small cubes.
- Sprinkle some cornstarch over the tofu and toss to coat. This step is optional, but it will help the tofu get super crispy while sauteing.
- Warm some oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the tofu to the pan. Cook the tofu, flipping every couple minutes to make sure that it browns on all sides. When the tofu is browned, remove the pan from the heat and stir in some soy sauce, then place the tofu into a bowl and set it aside.
HOW TO MAKE TOFU FRIED RICE
- Place your skillet on the stove over low heat, then add whisked eggs and scramble.
- When the eggs are fully cooked, add cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add frozen corn.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and stir all of the ingredients in the skillet to combine. Allow the mixture to cook until heated through.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, then add it to the skillet with the fried rice and stir to combine.
- Last, add the browned tofu back to the skillet and gently stir or toss the tofu fried rice to combine, taking care not to break up the tofu. Enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR COOKING FRIED RICE
- If your ingredients start to stick to the pan, you can add a tablespoon or two of water. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the fried rice is no longer sticking and no water remains in the pan.
- You can use fresh rice, but day-old rice is even better to get the best non-sticky fried rice consistency.
- Use a cooking oil with a light flavor and high smoke point. To get that authentic Chinese fried rice taste, you could try vegetable oil, soybean oil, or even peanut oil if you're not nut-free.
IS FRIED RICE VEGAN?
This recipe is vegetarian, but not vegan since it contains scrambled eggs. You can simply omit the eggs to make this crispy fried rice vegan.
WHAT KIND OF VEGETABLES SHOULD I USE FOR FRIED RICE?
Traditional stir fry recipes typically contain peas, carrots, and corn. I prefer to use frozen veggies to save time and to keep them slightly firm while cooking.
While I don't recommend using canned vegetables in this tofu fried rice (they're too soft), you could use fresh steamed veggies if you prefer. Be sure to cook them slightly under - you don't want your veggies to fall apart into a pile of mush.
If desired, you can add onions, diced bell peppers, or mushrooms. You could also add edamame if you're making it vegan but want more protein. Consider garnishing with sliced green onion or cilantro for an extra kick of flavor!
TRY THESE OTHER YUMMY ASIAN INSPIRED TOFU RECIPES
Crispy Orange Tofu is like takeout, but way better.
Sweet and Sour Tofu Bowls make the perfect make ahead meal for meal prep.
Sweet Thai Chili Tofu Bowls are another really awesome meal prep option with a little bit of spice.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Tofu Fried Rice
- Press the tofu for 10-12 minutes, turning the press every 3-4 minutes to remove excess liquid.
- Dice the tofu into small, bite-sized cubes.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the tofu and toss to coat. This step is optional, but it helps to crisp up the tofu.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add the tofu to the skillet and cook, flipping every couple of minutes, until heated through and browned on all sides.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the soy sauce. Place the tofu in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the skillet back onto the stove over low heat, then add the whisked eggs to the pan and scramble until fully cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and frozen vegetables to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For the Sauce
- While the fried rice is cooking, add the sesame oil, soy sauce, and sriracha to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the sauce over the fried rice and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked tofu back to the pan, then gently toss everything to combine, taking care no to break up the tofu.
- Serve, and enjoy!
- Don't skimp on pressing the tofu! Tofu is packed in liquid and if there's too much moisture left, it won't crisp up nicely.
- If you find that your fried rice is sticking to the skillet while cooking, you can add 2 tablespoons of water to loosen things up. Continue cooking until the mixture is heated through and no more water remains in the pan.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.