Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan is easy to make! This dish is baked, not fried! We have included Dairy-free and Vegan options too!
Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Eggplant is actually one of my husband's favorite food items. It is not something that I often use in my cooking. I need to get better about that, I’m sure he would appreciate it!
But with this Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan dish, I think I'll be using eggplant a whole lot more!
Did you know that eggplants are actually nightshades? It is actually related to potatoes and tomatoes! There really isn’t a vegetable that compares to eggplant, it’s a very unique flavor and texture that makes it an excellent hearty vegetarian entree.
Simple Recipe for Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan
Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan is actually easier than you think. It may have multiple steps but they are simple.
I have broken down the steps into pictures for you. While the steps are simple, they do take some time. So plan accordingly with your time.
I promise, you won't be disappointed with this Gluten Free Breaded Eggplant Parmesan. Remember, if you need dairy-free or vegan options, check at the bottom of the recipe. You can easily make this a vegan gluten free eggplant parmesan recipe by using a vegan mozzarella substitute and your favorite egg substitute.
Looking for an air fryer eggplant parmesan recipe? We have one!
We adapted this baked eggplant recipe for the air fryer! Check it out.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN FREE EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Gluten Free Organic Spaghetti - we used Explore Cuisine Chickpea Spaghetti.
Marinara Sauce - Choose your favorite brand.
Eggplant - Find a medium sized eggplant for this recipe.
Eggs - Eggs help create the breading on the eggplant.
Gluten Free Panko Breadcrumbs - This gives the eggplant the perfect amount of crunch.
Italian Seasoning - this blend of herbs is perfect for seasoning the eggplant.
Parmesan Cheese - Optional, but a delicious addition to this eggplant parmesan
Mozzarella Cheese - pre-shredded mozzarella makes this recipe super simple.
Fresh Basil and Cilantro - for garnishing.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE EGGPLANT PARMESAN
- So first, we are starting with our eggplant. You are going to slice your medium eggplant into ¼ inch pieces. Do your best to keep the slices the same width, but don’t worry too much about it. This eggplant recipe is pretty forgiving in that way.
- Then you are going to salt the eggplant. My kitchen tip for you is to place your eggplant slices onto a paper towel lined, lipped baking sheet. This set up will allow you to salt the eggplant and have the extra salt fall to the paper towels and baking sheet.
- Bread your eggplant slices by dipping first into beaten eggs and then into gluten free breadcrumbs mixed with Italian Seasoning.
- Bake the eggplant slices as directed in the recipe below until they are golden brown.
- Top each eggplant slice with marinara sauce.
- Then top with mozzarella cheese. Bake as directed in the recipe until cheese is melted.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
Are you making gluten free dairy free eggplant parmesan?
I'll give you a sneak peak at your dairy-free and vegan eggplant parm options here. Dairy-free options are to omit the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses or you can use vegan cheese. For a vegan option, you can use maple syrup instead of eggs!
WHAT PASTA TO SERVE WITH GLUTEN FREE EGGPLANT PARMESAN
During this entire process, probably some time before you sauce your gluten free eggplant parmesan you will need to make the pasta! You can eat eggplant parmesan without pasta, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
For this dish, we choose the Organic Chickpea Spaghetti from Explore Cuisine. I am a huge fan of their entire pasta line.
I honestly eat their pasta at least once a week. Who can argue with 11 grams of protein per serving? This is a great way to get some delicious plant-based protein into your life.
This particular chickpea spaghetti has a subtle enough taste that even your gluten-loving picky family members won't notice!
If you are looking for other recipes that we've created using Explore Cuisine pastas you might want to check out...
It is recipe time! I can't wait to give you this SUPER easy eggplant parmesan recipe! It is literally one of the BEST things we've made and eaten in this house! My husband requests this for weekend dinners pretty regularly now, and I’m happy to oblige. This recipe for Eggplant Parm is so delicious!
Paleo? Need more gluten free eggplant recipes? Check out this Paleo Eggplant Parmesan from A Mindful Mom.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan
- Slice your medium eggplant into ¼ inch pieces.
- Place eggplant on top of paper towels in a lipped baking sheet. Salt the eggplant and let it sit for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant slices and salt again. Let sit again for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat eggs, set aside. In a small bowl mix panko, Italian Seasoning and parmesan. Dip each eggplant piece into the egg mixture, followed by the panko mixture to coat. Make sure you do both sides.
- Bake the eggplant in the oven at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. Then you are going to flip over each eggplant piece and bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Gently spoon sauce onto each individual piece of eggplant.
- Equally divide cheese among eggplant pieces. Bake until cheese is melted.
- Prepare pasta per the directions on the box. Toss pasta with remaining sauce. Divide pasta among 4 plates.
- Place 2-3 eggplant pieces on each plate on top of pasta.
- Garnish with basil and cilantro.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
While there are a few steps to this Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan they are easy steps. This recipe serves 4 hungry adults. I ended up with some extra eggplant pieces, so I saved them and ate them for lunch the following day!
Thank you to Explore Cuisine for partnering with us for this recipe. We appreciate the pasta you sent and appreciate that you sponsored this post!