These Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are so moist and gluten free, too! Made with rolled oats, natural peanut butter, and gluten-free flour, these are the easiest cookies to make without a mixer.
VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES RECIPE
I will put peanut butter in almost anything! I've always loved it. So it's no surprise peanut butter cookies are my favorite. These Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are super moist and made with gluten-free flour, too.
Gluten-free baking can be tricky, but luckily Bob's Red Mill has a flour blend that makes it so easy! When you're shopping, look for the blue bag of Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour! It's got all the xanthan gum to make the best gluten-free cookies, cakes, and more!
If you can't find it, that's ok! You can always add your own xanthan gum to any gluten-free flour that doesn't have a gum.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
Peanut butter: You can use your favorite peanut butter here, crunchy or creamy! I like to use a natural creamy peanut butter. Be sure to stir it up before measuring!
Vegan butter: Make sure your butter is softened before you beat it. You want super fluffy butter, almost like whipped cream!
Brown sugar: I love the addition of brown sugar in baking. It has an extra richness and subtle sweetness from the molasses.
Vanilla extract: If you love the taste of baked goods, you love vanilla extract. A little goes a long way here, but it's totally required for the best homemade cookies.
Almond milk: I love the extra nuttiness almond milk adds to these vegan oatmeal cookies.
All-purpose flour: I like to keep my vegan cookies gluten free when I can, and Bob's Red Mill makes it easy to do! If you're not on a gluten-free diet, you can always use regular all-purpose flour instead.
Salt: You always want a pinch of salt in your cookie recipes. It adds the perfect balance of salty and sweet, plus it enhances all the flavors. Win-win!
Baking soda: If it's fluffy cookies you want, it's baking soda you need! This gives my vegan cookie a little extra rise when they bake.
Xanthan gum: Always check your gluten-free flour to see if it's got xanthan gum added. If not, you'll need to mix a little into the dry ingredients. If it does, don't add more!
Rolled oats: There's so many kind of oats, it can be overwhelming to shop for. Rolled oats have the perfectly chewy consistency, and they don't disintegrate when mixed.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
- First, preheat the oven and prep your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Then, beat the softened vegan butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a bowl by hand until it's smooth and creamy.
- Now, add vanilla extract and almond milk to the bowl and beat again to combine. Don't over mix!
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum (if necessary), salt, and baking soda until it's totally combined. Sieve the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Next, gently fold the flour into the wet ingredients. Then, add the rolled oats, and fold them into the batter.
- Roll the cookie dough into evenly sized balls and spread them out on the baking sheets. Leave room for spread!
- To flatten, use the bottom of a glass and gently push on the dough balls. Bake until they're set on the rim but soft on the inside.
- Let the cookies rest before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
Skip the Starbucks drive-thru line this afternoon and make your own dirty chai latte at home! This copycat recipe tastes just the same for a fraction of the cost.
Too hot for tea? Think again! This iced matcha latte is a creamy and refreshing drink perfect for any occasion.
Looking for a healthy afternoon pick-me-up? This delicious turmeric latte offers notes of cinnamon and sweet maple syrup. Add a shot of espresso to the mix and, you'll have turmeric coffee!
WHY ARE MY OATMEAL COOKIES DRY?
This vegan peanut butter oatmeal cookie recipe makes perfectly soft cookies!
However, if you end up with a dry or hard oatmeal cookie, it's likely the dough got over mixed. I use an electric mixer for some of my baking, but I do everything by hand for this recipe.
I also don't like my cookies to be hard, so while they may look slightly under baked in the center, pull them out! The cookies will continue to bake for a few minutes, which can turn perfect looking cookies into hard cookies fast.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR EGGS IN PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES?
Surprisingly, I don't use egg replacements of any kind in these cookies! The peanut butter itself helps keep these super moist cookies from crumbling.
There are so many choices when it comes to gluten-free flours. We typically use a gluten-free all-purpose flour. We have found that Bob's Red Mill (blue bag) Gluten Free Cup for Cup works well with our recipes. It is important to get the BLUE bag and not the red bag.
MORE YUMMY DESSERT RECIPES
I love peanut butter cookies, but sometimes I just want a simple oatmeal cookie! This air fryer recipe is a little sweet, perfectly chewy, and packed with raisins.
These air fried Oreos are truly my favorite vegan dessert. They're ready in just 5 minutes and need just 3 ingredients to make.
If you thought vegan panna cotta was out of reach, think again! This gelatin-free recipe is so creamy with just 6 ingredients.
Ditch the pumpkin pie this year and make this no-bake pumpkin swirl cheesecake instead! It's super creamy and makes a gorgeous centerpiece.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Wire cooling rack
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the vegan butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in the almond milk and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt until well combined. Sieve the flour mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fold everything together until just combined.
- Add the rolled oats, and fold again to combine.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls, and place on lined baking sheets. Leave enough space between each dough ball to allow for spreading.
- Using the bottom of a glass, gently push each dough ball to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Leave cookies on a baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before using a spatula to move them to a wire rack to cool.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.