Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is the best gluten-free loaf ever packed with chocolate chips! This perfectly moist bread is surrounded by a crunchy crust and is great for breakfast or a sweet snack.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Banana bread is my ultimate breakfast treat. It's moist, flavorful, and even better packed with chocolate! Your whole family will love this Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe that is so easy and delicious.
Some people see brown bananas as a bad thing. I see them as an excuse to make this recipe! I keep it gluten-free with a simple flour swap. Plus, unlike a lot of banana bread recipes, there are no nuts in this vegan version! The added richness of the melty dark chocolate pairs perfectly with the moist banana bread with a crunchy crust.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
Bananas: When life gives you brown bananas, make banana bread! The best bananas for banana bread are brown on the outside but still yellow and creamy on the inside.
Flour: I keep my banana bread gluten-free with a gluten-free all purpose flour. It has all the ingredients I need for a fluffy, tall loaf.
Oil: You can use canola oil, vegetable oil, or another neutral oil for this nut-free banana bread recipe. It makes the loaf extra moist!
Non-dairy milk: Choose your favorite alternative milk! I typically use almond milk or oat milk to keep it nut-free, but soy milk and milkadamia are great options, too!
Maple syrup: I love the subtle richness of this vegan liquid sweetener.
Brown sugar: I love the extra richness of molasses in brown sugar. Buy it at the store or make your own at home for the best flavor.
Baking powder: I use two leavening agents for this banana bread recipe! It leads to a great crumb.
Vegan chocolate chips: Not all dark chocolate is vegan! Be sure to check your chocolate chip package for extra milk products.
Vanilla extract: If you love cakes and cookies, you love vanilla extract. Add a little for a ton of flavor.
Salt: Even sweet treats need a little salt to balance the flavor. When baking, I usually use kosher salt.
Baking soda: For extra rise, baking soda makes the fluffiest banana bread with no nuts!
Apple cider vinegar: This helps get a great fluffy banana bread loaf. Plus, it adds a little apple flavor for a super yummy gluten-free bread.
If you have any questions about vegan chocolate chip banana bread, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- First, prep your ingredients, preheat the oven, and grease a large loaf pan. I also use parchment paper for a clean removal every time.
- Then, peel the bananas and mash them with a fork in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add the brown sugar, oil, milk, maple syrup, flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, and apple cider vinegar to the bananas.
- To mix, use an electric hand mixer to beat the batter until well combined.
- Now, pour the vegan dark chocolate chips into the mix.
- For the best chocolate distribution, gently fold the chips into the batter. Over mixing can lead to all the chocolate sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
- To bake, transfer the batter to the lined loaf pan and bake until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the vegan chocolate chip banana bread cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring it to a wire rack. For the cleanest slices, let the bread cool completely first.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for the best vegan chocolate chip banana bread, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
Banana bread is a breakfast favorite in my house. I love to enjoy a slice alongside my morning coffee all week long.
This delicious turmeric latte offers notes of cinnamon and sweet maple syrup. Add a shot of espresso to the mix and you'll have delicious turmeric coffee.
Prefer it iced? This iced matcha latte is a creamy and refreshing drink perfect for any occasion. Ditch the fancy coffeeshop and make this iced matcha latte at home!
Need another sweet brunch recipe? This air fryer monkey bread could not be easier! Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, it's the best way to start the weekend or a family holiday.
HOW DO YOU KEEP VEGAN BANANA BREAD MOIST?
The best vegan banana bread is moist, fluffy, and crunchy, too. There is nothing worse than a dry, crumbly banana bread. How do you make banana bread perfectly moist?
The ratio of dry ingredients to wet ingredients is key for a delicious banana bread loaf — especially flour to banana.
To make the best vegan banana bread, be sure to scoop the flour into your measuring cups. This leads to less densely packed flour to avoid a dry banana bread.
WHY DID MY CHOCOLATE CHIPS SINK?
One of the trickiest parts of this banana bread recipe is the chocolate chips! I love adding chocolate chips to my banana bread, but they can sink and lead to an uneven loaf.
For the best vegan chocolate chip banana bread, mix all the ingredients together except the chocolate chips. Then, gently fold the chips into the batter until they are just dispersed enough.
If you over mix the batter, the chocolate chips and the loaf itself could sink. It will taste delicious either way!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES
These Vegan Biscotti are crunchy, chocolatey, and perfect for the holidays! Add orange zest and dried cranberries to the gluten-free cookies for a festive breakfast treat or afternoon snack.
Air Fried Oreos are a healthier version of your favorite fair food! Just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes needed to make this quick and easy vegan dessert.
Vegan Pumpkin Bread is a quick and easy gluten-free bread that everyone will love for fall! If you miss Starbucks pumpkin bread, you won't with this delicious vegan recipe.
Love banana bread? You will love the sweetness of vegan zucchini bread, too! Use those green squash for this delicious bread you can eat all day long.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Loaf pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer
- Wooden spoon
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and line a large loaf pan.
- Peel the bananas and add them to a large mixing bowl. Mash them thoroughly with a fork.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips to the bowl. Mix with an electric hand whisk until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips. Gently fold into the batter with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to your lined loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
- Leave the banana bread in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.