These five-ingredient Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the perfect quick, comforting, and flavorful side dish for tonight’s dinner.
While Vegan Mashed Potatoes can be packed with almost anything, I like to keep mine simple with Russet potatoes, oat mylk, garlic salt, vegan butter and fresh chives.
Any plant-based mylk is fine, but through trial and error I’ve learned oat mylk is the closest substitute for dairy milk or heavy cream in Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
How to make Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes and remove any bad spots.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until soft, about 15 minutes. Water level should be at least an inch above potatoes.
- Drain water and return potatoes to the pot. Then add garlic salt.
- Add melted vegan butter.
- Add plant-based mylk (I prefer oat). Mash until combined well. Add chives; stir to combine.
Is a hand masher better than a mixer?
Both options are great for mashing potatoes. A mixer or blender will make the potatoes smooth as silk, but a hand masher will keep the starches from breaking down too much, which can lead to a glue-like consistency.
A potato ricer is also an option for getting smooth, lump-free mashed potatoes without the risk of over-mixing. Don’t have a hand masher? Use a fork!
Want to make it your own?
If you love garlic, roast a few cloves in the oven and mash them in at the end. Don’t have Russet potatoes? Yukon Gold potatoes also work great in Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
Looking for more “cream?” Mix in vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, or vegan Parmesan cheese in the final stage!
More side dish recipes to try
- Polenta Corn Casserole
- Zucchini Corn Cakes
- Creamy Dill Macaroni Salad
- Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Wild Rice Stuffed Mushrooms
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter melted
- ½ cup plant based mylk I use oat mylk
- 4 tbsp fresh chives diced
- Wash potatoes thoroughly to remove all dirt. Cut off any bad parts before peeling and dicing potatoes into small pieces.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add diced potatoes and boil until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain water and return cooked potatoes to pot.
- Add garlic salt and melted vegan butter.
- Mash potatoes, garlic salt and butter until combined well.
- Add plant-based mylk (I use oat mylk) and mash again.
- Add chives. Stir to combine.
- Serve in bowl. Garnish with additional melted butter or chives if desired.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.