These five-ingredient Vegan Mashed Potatoes are the perfect quick, comforting, and flavorful side dish for tonight's dinner.
VEGAN MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
While Vegan Mashed Potatoes can be packed with almost anything, I like to keep mine simple with Russet potatoes, oat mylk, garlic salt, vegan butter and fresh chives.
Any plant-based mylk is fine, but through trial and error I've learned oat mylk is the closest substitute for dairy milk or heavy cream in Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN MASHED POTATOES
Russet Potatoes - These are the best type of potatoes for mashing, they come out so smooth.
Garlic Salt - To season your potatoes.
Vegan Butter - Use whatever type you prefer.
Plant Based Milk- I prefer oat milk in this recipe, but any unflavored, unsweetened milk will work here.
Chives - Finely chopped chives make a beautiful garnish for the potatoes.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MASHED POTATOES
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes and remove any bad spots.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until soft. Water level should be at least an inch above potatoes.
- Drain water and return potatoes to the pot. Then add garlic salt.
- Add melted vegan butter.
- Add plant-based mylk (I prefer oat). Mash until combined well. Add chives; stir to combine.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
IS A HAND MASHER BETTER THAN A MIXER?
Both options are great for mashing potatoes. A mixer or blender will make the potatoes smooth as silk, but a hand masher will keep the starches from breaking down too much, which can lead to a glue-like consistency.
A potato ricer is also an option for getting smooth, lump-free mashed potatoes without the risk of over-mixing. Don't have a hand masher? Use a fork!
VARIATIONS ON VEGAN MASHED POTATOES
If you love garlic, roast a few cloves in the oven and mash them in at the end. Don't have Russet potatoes? Yukon Gold potatoes also work great in Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
Looking for more "cream?" Mix in vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, or vegan Parmesan cheese in the final stage!
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Casserole is a sweet and savory side dish that reminds me of holiday dinners.
Zucchini Corn Cakes make a perfect snack or a side dish that everyone will enjoy.
Looking for a simple side dish? Try Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts.
Wild Rice Stuffed Mushrooms are a beautiful appetizer that also shines as a side dish.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter melted
- ½ cup plant based mylk I use oat mylk
- 4 tbsp fresh chives diced
- Wash potatoes thoroughly to remove all dirt. Cut off any bad parts before peeling and dicing potatoes into small pieces.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add diced potatoes and boil until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain water and return cooked potatoes to pot.
- Add garlic salt and melted vegan butter.
- Mash potatoes, garlic salt and butter until combined well.
- Add plant-based mylk (I use oat mylk) and mash again.
- Add chives. Stir to combine.
- Serve in bowl. Garnish with additional melted butter or chives if desired.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
I love garlic and as you recommend I'd be adding it for next time I make mashed potatoes but this certainly is yummy as it is!
So glad you enjoyed them! Yes the garlic is a nice addition for next time!
Such a creamy and smooth side dish! This will be perfect with our barbecue dinner tonight!
OMG these mashed potatoes are everything! I love how creamy they are -- and keep with the same texture as non-vegan mashed potatoes!
Yay Kathryn I am so excited that you loved them!! Thanks for coming back and letting me know!
Mashed potatoes are all time favorite. I will soon try this vegan version. Yum!
These are a perfect side dish. I really like that you add garlic salt and chives. Gives them a kick.
Thank you Andrea! So glad you liked it!