This Vegan Green Bean Casserole is your traditional holiday hit without the dairy! Dress it up or keep it plain for my favorite vegan side dish for every family gathering!
VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE
Green bean casserole has always been one of my favorite holiday treats, but the heaviness of it is comparable to a main meat! This Vegan Green Bean Casserole takes the heaviness out but still brings you comfort just like grandma's original recipe.
I prefer using fresh green beans in this to give it a little extra crunch and flavor and swap the typical creamy soup and milk base for coconut milk and vegetable broth mixed with sautéed mushrooms and onions for the same concept with fresher ingredients!
In need of more vegan holiday dishes this year? Try my Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole for the best half dessert, half side dish with a delicious pecan crumble topping!
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Green Beans - I use fresh green beans for my green bean casserole.
Mushrooms - Dice your mushrooms into small pieces.
Onion - Diced small, onion adds lovely flavor to this dish.
Oil- We use oil to saute the vegetables, try a light olive oil or avocado oil.
Flour- Any all purpose flour, use gluten free if needed.
Vegetable Broth- Use your favorite brand, or any that you've made yourself.
Coconut Milk - Use full fat coconut milk in a can for this recipe.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- Start by boiling your green beans for 5 to 7 minutes before shocking them in ice water to stop the cooking and setting them aside. Then, in a skillet over medium heat, warm your oil and sauté the onions.
- Next, add your diced mushrooms and sauté your mixture until the onions and mushrooms have softened.
- Now, sprinkle your flour over the skillet mixture and stir to combine. This helps make the gravy thicken!
- Then, add your vegetable broth to the skillet slowly, stirring as you add more.
- Add your coconut cream to the skillet as well.
- Finally, put your cooked green beans in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Cover the beans with your skillet mixture and bake as directed until everything is combined and heated through. Serve warm and enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
This casserole will fit in well with a Thanksgiving spread, or as a side dish for any simple meal.
CAN I MAKE VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Every holiday season, I find myself planning a menu with as many make-ahead dishes as I have day-of dishes. There's nothing easier than pulling your pre-made casserole from the fridge to the oven with no holiday mess.
This casserole could easily be made the night before and refrigerated until it's time to cook. If so, bring the dish out about half an hour before you want to cook it so it can slowly come to room temperature, and give it a quick mix before popping it in the oven. Unfortunately, this casserole does not freeze and thaw well, but it's quick to make!
Vegan Green Bean Casserole will last about 3 to 4 days leftover, until the beans begin to absorb too much liquid and become mush. The sauce makes this a great addition to your leftovers sandwich the next day, though!
VEGAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE SUBSTITUTIONS
I like to keep my casserole simple with the basics, but many of my friends like to add a little something extra to theirs.
The most popular addition by far is the fried onions on top. You can either buy these from the store or make your own. I prefer the sautéed onions in mine, so I add those and leave out the fried bits.
Not a fan of coconut cream? Cashew cream goes great here too! This helps replace the typical Cream of Mushroom soup sauce.
FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGAN RECIPES, TRY THESE:
Vegan Shepherd's Pie is a delicious and homey main dish casserole for a family meal.
I love making Air Fryer Butternut Squash in the fall months with warm, sweet spices.
Air Fryer Yellow Squash is a simple side dish to make with summer squash.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 9x13 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and boil for 5 to 7 minutes, then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set beans aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and sauté the onions and mushrooms until softened.
- Sprinkle flour over the skillet mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk to the skillet.
- Put cooked green beans in an oiled 9x13 baking dish. Top the beans with the skillet mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.