Vegan Zucchini Muffins are perfectly spiced for an easy breakfast treat! They're gluten free, packed with protein, and slightly sweet with bursts of dark chocolate.
VEGAN ZUCCHINI MUFFINS RECIPE
Zucchini is my favorite veggie, but I always have tons from my garden to use. These Vegan Zucchini Muffins are perfectly soft, a little sweet, and full of healthy ingredients. They're so light and still moist, you'll never believe they're gluten-free, too!
I switch between this recipe and pumpkin bread for easy breakfast treats all year long! I like to add some sweetness with dark chocolate chips, but you can use walnuts, raisins, or your favorite mix-in instead! They're ready in just half an hour and are great for meal prep, too.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Zucchini: I use just one medium zucchini for this recipe. Make sure it's grated for the best muffin texture!
All purpose flour: You can use gluten-free flour or regular all purpose flour in this recipe. I stick with gluten-free all purpose flour in my baking.
Xanthan gum: If you're using a gluten-free flour mix without xanthan gum, be sure to add some.
Baking powder: For extra fluffy muffins, baking powder is a must.
Cinnamon: I love the subtle spice of ground cinnamon in zucchini bread and muffins. It's perfect for a fall breakfast!
Nutmeg: If you want a deeper flavor, add a pinch of nutmeg! This sweet spice is totally optional but a great addition to the cinnamon.
Salt: You always want a little salt in your baking to balance the sweetness.
Oil: Use canola oil or vegetable oil to keep your zucchini muffins extra moist.
Sugar: I like to use caster sugar in my baking, but you can use granulated sugar instead. Every zucchini bread needs a little sugar, too!
Non-dairy milk: Whatever alt milk is in your fridge will work! Almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, or even macadamia milk are great options.
Apple cider vinegar: Did you know this healthy vinegar also adds the perfect fluffiness to muffins? I love the slight apple flavor, too!
Flax egg: This is my absolute favorite vegan egg swap for baking. You only need 2 ingredients to make a flax egg for binding it all together.
Vanilla extract: That perfect baked good taste is all wrapped in a few drops of vanilla.
Vegan chocolate chips: This is optional but totally recommended. Who doesn't love a little dark chocolate for breakfast?
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- First, prep all your ingredients and line a muffin pan with a dozen liners.
- Then, whisk together the gluten-free all purpose flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, apple cider vinegar, flax egg, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- Now, sieve the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Gently fold it together until just combined and no flour clumps are left.
- Next, fold in the grated zucchini and vegan dark chocolate chips.
- Once the batter is done, fill each liner about ¾ full.
- Bake the zucchini muffins until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer poked in the center comes out clean.
- To cool, let the muffins sit in the pan for a few minutes before moving them to a wire cooling rack.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
There's no better fall breakfast treat than a pumpkin spiced latte. Skip the coffee shop line and make it at home.
Dress up your brunch menu with these tofu scramble breakfast burritos. It's an easy DIY breakfast packed with all your fav veggies and flavors.
Need more sweetness? Add a little apple butter to your muffin, or some vegan butter for a creamy spread.
DO I HAVE TO PEEL ZUCCHINI BEFORE SHREDDING IT?
Skip the stress of peeling your zucchini before shredding! Since you're leaving the skin, be sure to rinse it well with cold water. I like to rub mine to get any excess dirt off, too.
Once it's shredded, squeeze out any extra liquid before adding it to the batter.
HOW TO I MAKE SURE MY ZUCCHINI MUFFINS RISE?
The combination of baking powder, baking soda, and a flax egg will give these vegan zucchini muffins the perfect rise without overflowing.
When working with leavening agents, freshness matters. Be sure to check your expiration dates as older baking powder or soda won't rise as much.
MORE EASY BAKING RECIPES
Have a craving for some pumpkin spice goodness plus some chocolate? I have you covered with this easy recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
You can bake in the air fryer, too! Air Fryer Gingerbread Bites are fluffy crescent rolls filled with gooey cream cheese and covered in holiday seasonings. Perfect for a Christmas dessert or a breakfast treat!
Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies are packed with earthy green tea flavor and rich chocolate chips. These cookies are gluten free, refined sugar free and totally delicious.
Want an even sweeter zucchini bread? Try this chocolate zucchini bread recipe that can be made into muffins, too!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Zucchini Muffins
- Muffin pan
- 2 mixing bowls
- Wire cooling rack
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 cup caster sugar or granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups zucchini grated, about 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin papers.
- Whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, milk, apple cider vinegar, flax egg, and vanilla extract.
- Sieve the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Fold together until just combined.
- Fold zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Transfer batter to muffin papers. Fill each about ¾ full.
- Bake zucchini muffins 18 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden skewer in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Leave muffins in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.