Sweet and Sour Tofu is a dish that will keep you coming back for more. The dish carries the perfect level of sweet and tart!
Sweet and Sour Tofu
Sweet and Sour is a taste that I have loved for a long time. Back in the days when I was a meat eater and have no other dietary restrictions, I would often order sweet and sour chicken. I loved the perfect balance of sweet and sour in this type of dish!
*We recently updated this post with new photos. Same delicious recipe with an optional skillet method and some mouthwatering photos!
Well the meat eating days are gone for me as well as a few other things! But have no fear, we can recreate those things that we used to love!
Up first, the sauce!
Simple ingredients come together for a mouthwatering taste! This does make a big batch of sauce. I like to keep the extras for dipping and to use on other foods!
You just need to blend the sauce ingredients together over a low heat until smooth! Easy peasy!
Once your sauce is prepared, you can work on prepping your tofu. You probably know that I am a HUGE fan of the EZ Tofu Press! In fact, I use it at least once a week!
Of course for this recipe, I used my EZ Tofu Press. I honestly didn’t know that I needed one until I tried it and saw the difference! You’ve heard that story before BUT it is very true!
My tofu cooks better and tastes better! AND I don’t have to balance unstable heavy objects on top of my tofu to squeeze it! For me, that was a disaster in the kitchen!
The press now has measuring marks on the bottom plate of the press. This helps you align the tofu so that you can an evenly pressed block of tofu. Pressing your tofu helps you to get even more delicious tofu! The press is simple and your tofu will be pressed in 10-15 minutes!
Looking for more delicious vegetarian recipes? All our recipes are nut-free and gluten-free. We also have vegan recipes too!
Pin this sweet and sour tofu recipe for later:
Are you ready for this delicious sweet and sour tofu recipe?
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, put all sauce ingredients into the pan. Whisk sauce together until well blended, smooth and warm. Set aside.
- Using your EZ Tofu Press, press the tofu for 15 minutes.
- Cut tofu into long skinny planks (as shown in pictures)
- Marinate tofu planks in 1/2 the sweet and sour sauce mixture for 1 hour.
- Place planks on a lipped baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes, fiipping sides after 5 minutes.
- If you choose to NOT broil your tofu but use your skillet, you will place tofu along with marinade in the skillet over medium heat. As the tofu cooks, the sauce will thicken.
- Cook tofu about 5 minutes and add in remaining sauce. Cook until sauce is thick, about another 5 minutes. *I like to leave 1-2 T left of sauce to garnish with.
- Garnish with diced green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Top with additional sauce if needed.
Here is a sneak peak at our OLD photos!
*This post does contain an affiliate link to amazon. Thank you to EZ Tofu Press for sponsoring this post!