The combination of hearty veggies and gravy topped with a comforting vegan mashed potato crust makes this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie a family staple for weeknights and rainy days.
The garlicky, pillowy vegan mashed potato crust covers the view of the stars of this delicious dish: the vegetables. Leeks, mushrooms, carrots and peas carry this traditional Irish entrée
Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with ground beef, but I choose to bulk up on the veggies instead of substituting a plant-based meat substitute. It’s also commonly made with tomato paste, which I omit for dietary preferences, but helps make a flavorful vegetable gravy.
How to make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe is all about the prep. Dice up all the vegetables in advance and make this a quick weeknight go-to.
- Heat oil in a medium oven-safe skillet. Sauté diced leeks and diced mushrooms.
- Add carrots. Sauté until soft.
- Add frozen peas.
- Then add maple syrup.
- Add gluten free all purpose flour. Stir while allowing mixture to heat through and thicken. Tomato paste (optional) can also be added in this step.
- Cover mixture with pre-made vegan mashed potatoes. Cook in 350-degree oven for about 20 minutes, until potatoes begin to brown. Garnish with diced chives and enjoy!
Make it your own
Want to stuff more into your Vegan Shepherd’s Pie? Try stewing some lentils and adding them to the vegetable filling. Looking to add a plant-based meat alternative? Seitan (not gluten free) and tempeh (often gluten free) are both amazing ground beef swaps as well as beyond meat.
How to make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie in advance
Want to bring this to a potluck? You can easily prep most of the recipe a day or two before you need it and assemble it the day of to keep the layers fresh.
Make the vegan mashed potatoes and the cooked vegetable filling the night before and assemble on party day in an oven-proof skillet or baking dish to complete. Follow same baking steps. Vegetable sauce get too thick in the fridge? Reheat with a splash of water or vegetable broth to thin it.
More comfort food recipes to try
- The Best Vegetarian Spinach Mushroom Lasagna
- Broccoli Cheese Risotto
- Easy Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Corn and Potato Soup
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Oven-safe skillet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium oven-safe skillet, heat oil. Add leeks and sauté.
- Add carrots and mushrooms. Sauté until soft.
- Add frozen peas to pan. Stir to combine.
- Add maple syrup and flour. Allow mixture to warm, stirring continuously. Mixture will thicken. Add tomato paste (optional).
- Cover mixture with layer of vegan mashed potatoes. Cook in oven for about 20 minutes, until potatoes begin to turn golden brown.
- Top with diced chives. Enjoy!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.