If you want to impress the crowd at your next holiday gathering, bring a dish of Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole. The fluffy sweet potato filling and crunchy pecan topping will be the star of the show!
VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is a decadent dairy free, gluten free version of everyone's favorite sweet potato recipe. The fluffy, sweet, cinnamon spiced filling is made with coconut milk for extra creaminess and flavor. After it's baked it gets topped with an irresistible brown sugar pecan topping.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Sweet Potatoes - We'll be boiling them to get them nice and soft.
Full fat coconut milk - This is the coconut milk that comes in a can, not in a box.
Brown sugar - Yum! the deep sweetness of brown sugar is so good with sweet potatoes.
Ground Cinnamon - brings out the sweetness and adds a mild, warm spiciness.
Vegan Butter - Adds richness to the potatoes.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO COOK SWEET POTATOES
This recipe uses diced and boiled sweet potatoes. They come out super soft, so the texture is perfect for mashing or whipping into a casserole.
- First, you'll want to wash and peel your sweet potatoes, then dice them into one-inch cubes.
- Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and boil for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain the water from the sweet potatoes using a colander before mashing.
If you prefer, you could totally save time and prep your sweet potatoes ahead using my air fryer sweet potato recipe. After air frying, allow the sweet potatoes to cool, then scoop the flesh out of the skin before mashing.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- First, mash your sweet potatoes in a large bowl using a potato masher or fork.
- Then, add brown sugar to the bowl.
- Measure out ½ cup of canned coconut milk, using the cream from the top first, and add it to the bowl.
- Next, add ground cinnamon and melted vegan butter to the bowl.
- Use a fork to mix all of the ingredients until combined.
- Spread the vegan sweet potato mixture into an oiled 8x8 baking dish before making the vegan pecan streusel topping.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO MAKE PECAN STREUSSEL TOPPING FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
It may seem fancy, but making a pecan streusel is super easy. Follow these simple steps to make this yummy streusel topping:
- Add flour to a large bowl.
- Then add brown sugar.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Pour in melted vegan butter.
- Use a fork to combine all of the ingredients until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Stir in the pecans.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE A VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
After you're done mixing your pecan streusel topping, all that's left to do is put everything together.
First, Sprinkle the pecan crumble topping over the top of your sweet potatoes in an even layer. Use your hands to spread it out if needed.
Finally, pop your sweet potato casserole in the oven and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through and the middle is set.
OTHER TOPPINGS FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
While I believe this easy vegan sweet potato recipe is best served with the pecan crumble topping, there are some other ways to top it if you don't like pecans or need to serve nut-free meals. Try some of these other sweet potato casserole topping ideas:
- Marshmallows: Be sure to use vegan marshmallows. Most of the more popular brands of marshmallows contain gelatin, which is made with animal proteins. You can find vegan marshmallows at your local specialty or health foods store. Add the marshmallows to the top of the casserole toward the last 5 minutes of baking to brown them, or broil them for 3 minutes or so, making sure to watch closely so they don't burn.
- Crumb topping without nuts: You can simply omit the pecans and make a simple crumb topping using the instructions for my pecan streusel topping.
- Coconut flakes: You can make a "coconut praline" topping by adding unsweetened flaked coconut to your pecan streusel topping, or your nut-free crumb topping. It adds a delectable crunch texture to the topping!
- Load it up!: If you're feeling really wild, make a "loaded" sweet potato casserole by adding your favorite vegan caramel sauce and a sprinkle of cinnamon to any of the topping ideas above. Yum!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
This casserole is a perfect side dish for your vegan, vegetarian or traditional thanksgiving.
You might also like to serve our Gluten Free Cheesy Broccoli Casserole with your dinner.
Roasted Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts are another holiday dinner side that I love.
Air Fryer Acorn Squash is another sweet and savory dish that your guests will thoroughly enjoy.
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES
Learn how to make a delicious Air Fryer Sweet Potato Hash.
I can show you the simple way to cook sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Then boil sweet potato pieces until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Drain water and put sweet potatoes into a bowl, then mash them using a potato masher or fork.
- Add the brown sugar to the bowl.
- Measure out ½ cup of coconut milk from the can. Use the cream from the coconut milk can first.
- Add the cinnamon to the bowl, then use a fork to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spread the mixture into an oiled 8x8 baking dish, then set aside.
To make the Pecan Topping
- Place the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter, then mix to combine until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the pecan topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake your vegan sweet potato casserole for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and firm in the center.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- You can sub in coconut sugar for brown sugar.
- The flour used can be any type of flour. Cassava, gluten free all purpose flour or wheat all purpose flour
- If you are not vegan, you can use dairy butter.
- This recipe is made for an 8x8 baking dish but if you double, it will nicely fit a 9x13 dish.
- Instead of boiling potatoes, you can use my instant pot sweet potato recipe to cook your sweet potatoes.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.