Sweet Potato Brownies are chocolatey, moist, and totally vegan! This decadent dessert recipe is so easy to make and packed with natural ingredients and tons of chocolate chips.
SWEET POTATO BROWNIES RECIPE
I love all things sweet potato, but in a dessert? Trust me, these Sweet Potato Brownies taste like fudgy chocolate and are melt-in-your-mouth decadent.
Unlike the classic sweet potato pie, these vegan brownies taste nothing like sweet potatoes! They add a creamy richness to the batter and leave behind an extra moist and chocolatey brownie. If you have only had dry, crumbly gluten-free brownies, this is the recipe for you.
INGREDIENTS IN SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
Sweet potatoes: You will beed about 2 cooked, mashed sweet potatoes for this vegan dessert recipe. Make your sweet potato in the air fryer or microwave for a quick, easy option!
Nut butter: I use almond butter or peanut butter for this brownie recipe. Choose your favorite!
Vegan butter: Be sure to melt your vegan butter when prepping your sweet potato brownie ingredients.
Vanilla extract: If you love the taste of baked goods, you love vanilla extract. A little goes a long way here, but it's totally required for the best homemade cookies.
Almond milk: For the most moist vegan brownies, a splash of almond milk is necessary.
All purpose flour: I like to use gluten-free flour when I can! If you are not on a gluten-free diet, you can always use regular all-purpose flour instead.
Cocoa powder: For the rich chocolate flavor, you will need cocoa powder! Any brand will work here.
Salt: Desserts need salt to balance the yummy sweetness. A little goes a long way, but don't skip it! You can also add a little flaky sea salt before serving.
Vegan chocolate chips: Not all dark chocolate chips are vegan, so be sure to check the package carefully! You can also use vegan chocolate chunks for even more melty goodness inside.
If you have any questions about vegan sweet potato brownies, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
- First, preheat the oven, prep your ingredients, and line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Then, add the mashed sweet potatoes, almond butter, melted vegan butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond milk to a large mixing bowl.
- Now, beat the mixture together until it is creamy smooth.
- Sieve in the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gently fold together until just combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Next, add the chocolate chips to the vegan sweet potato brownie batter.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- To bake, transfer the batter to the prepped baking dish and bake until the edges are set but the center still jiggles slightly.
- For the perfectly cut brownie, let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for the best sweet potato brownies, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
Start your morning with a sweet bread thanks to this vegan pumpkin bread recipe! It is a quick and easy gluten-free bread that everyone will love for fall! If you miss Starbucks pumpkin bread, you won't with this delicious recipe.
Make the most luscious low-carb soup with canned pumpkin puree and coconut milk topped with pumpkin seeds for a yummy crunch. Vegan Pumpkin Soup is the thick and creamy fall soup of your dreams!
Spaghetti Squash is common during the fall and can provide a hearty spaghetti-style meal. This Mushroom Spaghetti Squash brings some delicious earthy undertones to your table and is a great plant-based option for chilly fall nights!
HOW DO YOU KEEP SWEET POTATOES FROM GETTING STRINGY?
Perfectly cooked sweet potatoes are fluffy and luscious, plus they are packed with nutrients. But how do you avoid the dreaded stringy texture in these vegan sweet potato brownies?
Most of the stringy texture is actually connected to the ends! First, cut off both ends of your sweet potatoes. Then, cut the whole thing in half horizontally, then cut the potato into pieces to cook and mash.
You can boil, roast, air fry, or even microwave sweet potatoes for this brownie recipe, but I think roasted gives it a deeper flavor. For a quick option, use the air fryer or microwave!
WHY ARE MY VEGAN BROWNIES DRY?
This sweet potato brownie recipe is so fudgy and moist! But there is one thing you can do to make the brownies be crackly and dry.
Be sure not to overbake your sweet potato brownies! It can be hard to tell when they are done. When you gently shake the pan or tap the oven rack, the edges should be set but the center should wobble slightly.
Since the brownies will continue to cook, this is perfect! If you bake the brownies until fully set, they will end up dry when you cut them.
HOW TO STORE SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
These vegan sweet potato brownies will last about 4 days in an airtight container. Then again, it is hard not to eat them all in one sitting!
Want them to last even longer? You can easily freeze these brownies, too! I like to wrap individual squares. Simply thaw and enjoy!
MORE AMAZING VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES
These Vegan Pumpkin Cookies are the perfect easy fall dessert! Creamy pumpkin puree and a delicious pumpkin spice blend make these chewy gluten-free cookies the best of the season.
You are going to flip for this simple recipe that starts with a roll of crescent rolls and ends with delicious, cream filled, air fryer pumpkin spice bites. Just use vegan cream cheese!
Vegan Sugar Cookies are buttery, crunchy, and easy to decorate! Cut your favorite shapes and make this vegan cookie recipe for every holiday season.
Looking for a basic vegan brownie recipe? This one is super easy and comes out perfect every time!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 8x8 baking dish
- Wire cooling rack
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and line a square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the mashed sweet potato, almond butter, vegan butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Sieve the gluten-free flour and cocoa powder into the mixture, then add the salt. Fold everything together.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to your lined baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are set. The center should be slightly wobbly.
- Leave the brownies in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Once completely cooled, slice the brownies into 12 bars and enjoy!
- Store leftovers up to 4 days in an airtight container.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.