Vegan Coffee Cake is so easy to make! Add this simple icing drizzle over the cinnamon streusel topping for the best sweet breakfast treat that's perfect for holiday mornings.
VEGAN COFFEE CAKE RECIPE
Switch up your tofu scramble breakfast routine with this moist vegan coffee cake recipe! It's got a deliciously crumbly cinnamon streusel topping and a light, sweet drizzle on top for the best breakfast treat. Sometimes, you deserve a little sugar in the morning!
I love to make this sweet breakfast for brunch or on holiday mornings. I usually end up snacking on the cinnamon squares all day — they're THAT good!
Air Fryer Sausage Skewers are also a perfect brunch idea. Use vegan sausages for a festive, handheld treat!
This gluten-free coffee cake recipe is so easy to make. I love to freeze leftovers so this super moist coffee cake lasts months! Who doesn't want a sweet bite with no work?
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN COFFEE CAKE
Gluten-free flour: I love to make gluten-free baked goods when I can. I put Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour in all my baking, and people seriously can't tell the difference.
Light brown sugar: I love the deep richness brown sugar adds to this vegan coffee cake recipe.
Caster sugar: You can use granulated sugar in a pinch, but I love the fine texture of caster sugar.
Salt: All baking needs a little salt! It really brings out the natural flavor in the cinnamon coffee cake.
Cinnamon: Everything is better with a little cinnamon! It's the perfect baking spice.
Vegan butter: You'll use melted vegan butter twice in this coffee cake recipe — in the cinnamon streusel topping and the icing drizzle.
Xanthan gum: To make the perfect coffee cake texture, I add a little xanthan gum. It helps thicken the batter just enough.
Baking powder: I use two leavening agents for this cake! It makes it super fluffy.
Baking soda: For the perfect crumbly coffee cake, you'll want to add some baking soda to the batter.
Canola oil: You need a little oil for a perfectly moist cake. Vegetable oil also works in a pinch!
Almond milk: I always use almond milk for my baking! It adds an extra nutty flavor to all my cakes and cookies.
Flax egg: These flax eggs are a great binder for vegan meatloaf and a sub for eggs in baking! To make, mix 1 part flaxseed with 3 parts water and let it set for at least 15 minutes in the fridge. That's it!
White vinegar: Don't be frightened by the vinegar! It gives this cake a little extra rise with none of the flavor.
Vanilla extract: You can't bake a cake without vanilla extract. It's all that baked yummy flavor in a few drops!
Powdered sugar: The simple drizzle on top is mostly made of powdered sugar! Be sure to whisk out the clumps so it's super smooth.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN COFFEE CAKE
- First, preheat the oven. Prep a loose bottomed square baking tin with parchment paper.
- To make the cake batter, beat the canola oil, almond milk, flag egg, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Then, sieve the dry ingredients into the almond milk mixture. Fold it together until everything is just combined.
- Next, pour the batter into the prepped tin.
- To make the streusel, whisk the dry ingredients together. Then, add the melted vegan butter and stir together. Sprinkle cinnamon streusel topping over batter. Don't mix or press.
- Now, bake the coffee cake until a skewer comes out clean. Let it cool in the tin a few minutes before moving it to a cooling rack.
- To make the icing drizzle, beat melted butter and a little almond milk together. Then, add half the powdered sugar and whisk it all up. Add the other half and whisk until super smooth. If it's too thick, add a little extra almond milk. When the cake is completely cooled, add the drizzle and slice into squares.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN COFFEE CAKE
I LOVE oat milk lattes because they feel so fancy but they're barely any work! Skip the drive-thru and be your own barista before work.
Love iced coffee? Make your own cold brew in a mason jar! No need to buy expensive cold brew when you can make it easily at home.
This turmeric latte with cinnamon and maple syrup is a delicious complement to this vegan coffee cake. Add some antioxidants to your morning coffee!
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CAKE AND COFFEE CAKE?
Despite the name there's no coffee in this beloved breakfast treat! It is great with a hot cup of coffee, though.
While it seems special, coffee cake batter and cake batter are almost identical! What makes it a special cake is the cinnamon streusel topping. It's truly the best part!
Not all coffee cakes have a glaze, but this one has a simple sugar and milk icing drizzle on top.
HOW DO YOU KEEP COFFEE CAKE MOIST?
Cakes dry out whenever they're left out, so be sure to wrap up your leftover coffee cake when you're done slicing and serving.
I love this vegan coffee cake recipe because it's easy to freeze! It will last up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. Coffee cake whenever you want — just thaw and enjoy.
If the cake gets too dry, bring it back to life with just a little simple syrup!
MORE YUMMY VEGAN RECIPES
Looking for more meal prep breakfast recipes? Try this amazing banana chia pudding! Add all your fav fruits for a healthy breakfast on-the-go.
This vegan coffee cake is a super delicious dessert, too! It's almost as easy as these totally vegan air fried Oreos.
Add more sweetness to your day with these nutritious bliss balls! These creamy chocolate tahini balls are covered in sesame seeds for the best no-bake dessert or afternoon snack.
There's nothing better than a warm chocolate chip cookie. Make these super soft and chewy oatmeal cookies everyone will love.
There are so many choices when it comes to gluten-free flours. We typically use a gluten-free all-purpose flour. We have found that Bob's Red Mill (blue bag) Gluten Free Cup for Cup works well with our recipes. It is important to get the BLUE bag and not the red bag.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Vegan Coffee Cake
- Loose bottomed baking pan
- 3 mixing bowls
- 1 small bowl
Coffee Cake Ingredients
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if flour blend has a gum
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flax seed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and line an 8- or 9-inch loose-bottomed square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the canola oil, almond milk, flax egg, vinegar, and vanilla extract for the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Sieve the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and fold together until just combined. Don't over mix. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
- To make the streusel topping, whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the melted butter and stir. Sprinkle the topping over the cake batter.
- Bake the coffee cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack.
- To make the drizzle, beat the melted butter with 1 tablespoon of almond milk. Sieve about half the powdered sugar, and mix until smooth. Sieve in the other half of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 tablespoon almond milk at a time until thinned.
- Once the cake is completely cool, spoon drizzle over the cake and slice into servings.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.