This Tofu Scramble looks JUST like scrambled eggs but is actually a great vegan breakfast alternative with the benefits of Tumeric! Whip this up for brunch or as the base of a breakfast burrito!
Love the light, fluffy texture of scrambled eggs but on an egg-free diet? This Tofu Scramble recipe is a great alternative with the added benefit of Tumeric.
Tumeric, a spice known for its bright yellow color, also has medicinal properties, such as helping with inflammation and providing minerals such as manganese, phosphorus and potassium. This gives the Tofu Scramble its brilliant color and gives YOU more reasons to make this healthy, vegan dish!
Making a vegetarian brunch spread? Add this Simple Vegetarian Quiche to your menu, with its red peppers and spinach for a beautiful pop of color, and our Blueberry French Toast Casserole for a pop of sweet with minimal work to your menu!
How to make Tofu Scramble
This Tofu Scramble is a quick and easy breakfast staple in our house! Most of your time will be spent pressing the tofu, making this a great morning meal.
- Start by pressing your extra firm tofu for about 12 minutes total, tightening the knobs every 3 to 4 minutes depending on your tofu. Be sure to keep it over the sink or in a bowl to reduce cleanup!
- Preheat a skillet to medium and warm your oil — any flavorless, neutral oil will work here! Place the tofu in the skillet and mash it with a fork.
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic salt, pepper, and Tumeric to the skillet, coating the tofu evenly for that vibrant yellow color. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve over toast (or avocado toast!) and enjoy!
How to press tofu
Pressing all of the water out of your tofu is important so that it retains its shape and doesn’t cook into a soupy mess. If there’s too much moisture in the tofu, it will fall apart and not give you the faux egg texture.
The EZ Tofu Press makes pressing tofu super easy! Place the EZ Tofu Press over a plate or shallow bowl to catch the liquid from the tofu. Secure a block of extra firm tofu into the press and turn the knobs to tighten.
Turn the tightening knobs every 3-4 minutes for about 12 minutes or so to ensure that as much liquid as possible has been expended from the tofu block. After the 12 minutes is up, loosen up the knobs to release the block of tofu. It’s that simple!
What to serve with Tofu Scramble
There are so many options for this Tofu Scramble! You can easily make this your next brunch side dish, or put it on a piece of toast for a quick breakfast on the run.
This recipe is also a great option for a breakfast burrito filling, with avocado, salsa, fajita veggies, and some mushrooms! On a low carb diet? Turn your burrito into a burrito bowl and skip the tortilla!
For more delicious vegetarian breakfast options, try these:
- Vegetarian Egg and Hashbrown Casserole
- Air Fryer Donuts
- Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos
- Homemade Gluten-Free Granola
- Raspberry French Toast Bake
- Tofu press
- Press your tofu in a tofu press for about 12 minutes, tightening the press every 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Place pressed tofu into the skillet and mash with a fork.
- Add spices to the tofu and stir to coat evenly.
- Sauté tofu and spices for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.