I love a hearty summer soup, and Vegan Corn Chowder is a soup that screams summer with its chunky sweet corn and creamy coconut milk base.
VEGAN CORN CHOWDER RECIPE
Vegan Corn Chowder is a great dinner option for something hearty that isn't heavy during the warm months. This vegan soup swaps the dairy milk for creamy coconut milk to give the chowder depth alongside a handful of spices and vegetables.
This recipe can also be safely frozen for up to two months. To reheat, simply thaw, throw it in a soup pot and add a little coconut milk (or your desired milk or milk alternative) to bring this soup back to life!
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN CORN CHOWDER
Oil - Sautee your veggies in oil to start your soup. Olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or any oil that you like to cook with will work here.
Onion - Diced small, sauteed onion creates the base flavor for this soup.
Celery - the flavor of celery is recognized in most delicious soup recipes, and this one is no exception.
Bell Pepper - The trio of onion, celery and bell peppers add so much flavor here. Use whichever color pepper you like.
Potatoes - Every chowder needs some potatoes. Regular white potatoes are perfect here.
Corn - Sweet corn, either fresh or frozen.
Smoked Paprika- I love how smoked paprika gives the flavor of paprika and a smokiness at the same time.
Garlic Salt - My favorite type of salt.
Crushed Red Pepper- This adds a subtle heat to your soup.
Hot Sauce - This is optional, so leave it out if you don't like spicy things.
Vegetable Broth - Use your favorite brand, or make your own.
Coconut Milk - You'll need full fat coconut milk for this recipe - it comes in a can.
Green Onion - Slice these up and add at the end as a beautiful green garnish.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CORN CHOWDER
This tasty, hearty soup is an easy family meal to get on the table fast.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onions to the pot to sauté.
- Dice the celery and add it to the pot to sauté.
- Add in the diced bell pepper to the sauté pot.
- Then add in the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next up is the corn – you can add fresh or frozen corn to the pot.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, until potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
Blend soup in pot with immersion blender or transfer soup to high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. No blender? Leave it chunky! Add paprika, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, and hot sauce. Mix well. Top with green onions if desired and enjoy!
HOW TO THICKEN VEGAN CORN CHOWDER
If your vegan corn chowder becomes too runny, thickening agents may be your saving grace! Gluten free all-purpose flour (or regular all-purpose flour) and cornstarch are both options to thicken your soup or sauce.
To use, mix about a tablespoon of your chosen thickener with a tablespoon or two of water or broth BEFORE adding it to the pot to keep the starch from clumping.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN CORN CHOWDER
A creamy vegan soup belongs with a crunchy vegetarian grilled cheese, straight out of the air fryer. To keep it vegan, switch the butter for vegan butter and the cheese for vegan cheese.
A warm soup's other best friend is the classic salad. Try this Thai Kale Salad or Kale Quinoa Salad alongside your soup.
MORE SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
Vegan Coconut Curry Soup is another creamy, sweet and savory soup that you'll love.
Rustic Vegetarian Potato Soup is so easy to make and the most delicious comfort food.
Vegan Corn Chowder
- Soup pot
- Blender, immersion or high speed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 1 cup bell pepper diced, any color
- 1 cup potato peeled and diced
- 2 cups sweet corn fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp hot sauce optional
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- Green onions diced for garnish, optional
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onions and saute until soft.
- Add diced celery, diced bell pepper, peeled and diced potatoes, and sweet corn to pot. Stir to combine and cook, about five minutes, over medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth to pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, about 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.
- Blend soup in pot with emersion blender or transfer soup to high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add paprika, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, and hot sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Divide into bowls and top with diced green onions. Enjoy!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.