Vegetarian Potato Soup is a comforting vegetarian soup that you can enjoy year-round. Who said homemade potato and cheese soup couldn't be delicious?
VEGETARIAN POTATO SOUP RECIPE
Any season is great for soup, but when the winter chill rolls in this homemade potato soup is perfect. Grab a hot bowl of Rustic Potato Soup and settle in! Are you in for this basic potato soup recipe?
There is just something about a hot bowl of soup that warms my entire soul. While there isn’t just one aspect that I can put my finger on, the entire bowl just makes me smile.
I love this hearty vegetarian potato soup!
Maybe it’s the memories growing up of sitting around and talking to my family while slurping away on a giant bowl of potato soup, that I think about and love.
Memories like that are what I want to share with my kids! Sitting around the table and enjoying each other's company and conversations over a bowl of great potato soup are what it's all about!
Just the smell of this rustic easy creamy potato soup makes me hungry and happy. The great part about this potato recipe? It’s literally so very simple. I would pair it with these Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls.
INGREDIENTS IN VEGETARIAN POTATO SOUP
Potatoes - Russet or white potatoes will work, use whatever you have on hand.
Onion - Diced finely, the onions will soften and become part of the broth.
Butter - to saute the onions and create the base of the soup.
Flour - All purpose gluten free flour creates a roux to thicken the broth.
Milk - Milk plus water from boiling potatoes creates a smooth broth for potato soup.
Cheese - Any shredded cheese will do. I like a sharp white cheddar.
Green Onions - Optional, but a beautiful way to garnish the soup.
Parsley - Also an optional garnish, but I love the way fresh parsley looks and tastes on this simple dish.
Salt and Pepper - For a simple seasoning, add to your liking.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN POTATO SOUP
- Melt butter
- Saute onions.
- Next, stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually (slowly!) add your milk.
- Boil your potatoes, reserve 1 cup of the potato cooking water.
- Drain potatoes.
- Add potatoes and water to the pan.
- Get your cheese ready.
- Add cheese to the soup an stir until melted. Garnish with parsley and salt and pepper.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
VEGETARIAN POTATO SOUP IS EASY AND SIMPLE TO MAKE
We all know the heart of potato soup is...potatoes, right? Lots and lots of potatoes. Depending on how you like your soup, you can actually make this recipe a few different ways.
It is a simple recipe made with hearty potatoes. What I love about this potato soup recipe is that it’s possible to get a spoonful of potatoes, onions, and cheese in each and every bite.
Never worry about eating a “wimpy” soup every again with this super hearty potato soup recipe. This soup is so delicious that it doesn’t need a companion, but if you want to add something to go along with it, there are options to make it happen.
WHAT TO PAIR WITH VEGETARIAN POTATO SOUP
Pair it with a biscuit for dipping into the creamy potato soup and you are set. I am a huge fan of flaky biscuits, which can be hard to find in the gluten-free world.
If you've found a favorite biscuit, get it ready for this soup! Crackers or your favorite bread would be great here too. I've been eyeing this Gluten-Free Artisan Bread recipe from my friend GF Jules. She is amazing with everything that she makes and her flour is fantastic!
Sometimes my family likes to do a soup sampler supper. We paid two soups together and eat smaller portions of each soup. We love this Hungarian Mushrooms Soup!
SIMPLE WAYS TO SHARE THIS CHEESY POTATO SOUP RECIPE
With a recipe this delicious in your back pocket, it’d be a shame not to share it with those that you love.
Some simple and great ways to share this hearty potato soup recipe can be to:
- Have a soup potluck and have everyone bring their own soup. Let everyone taste test their way through all the soups, and have your potato soup recipe ready to share.
- Make it for a friend or family member who’s ill. Everyone loves soup when they aren’t feeling well, right? This potato soup will fix up whatever is ailing them in a jiffy!
If you’re lucky enough to find a great soup recipe that’s worthy of sharing, share it! With winter months approaching, everyone needs to have a hearty potato soup recipe to cook and enjoy while warming up around the fireplace.
POTATO SOUP - PERFECT TO EAT DURING ANY SEASON
Many people tend to think that enjoying potato soup has to be a wintertime activity. Wrong, wrong, wrong!
With the amazing flavors that this vegetarian creamy potato soup recipe provides, it can be a soup that you can enjoy at any time of the year!
- During those summer months, add a bit more flavor to it by pairing it with some fresh herbs from your garden. Freshly picked cilantro is always a winner in my book!
- Fall months are gearing up for soup, so this potato soup recipe is perfect to kick off the fall season. Top it with a dollop of your favorite sour cream (or other dairy-free option), and you'll have a fun and festive Fall soup to enjoy!
- Winter needs no introduction to the soup world, so making this potato soup recipe all winter long just makes perfect sense!
- Spring is the time of year when you're saying goodbye to the cold weather, and hello to the flower blooms. While it's nice, this soup can be enjoyed in Spring to allow your taste buds to hold on to those winter memories just a little bit longer!
There are so many other great ways to eat Potato Soup, that here are a few other options that you and your family may enjoy as well:
CAN YOU FREEZE POTATO SOUP?
I've been asked if this soup can be used as a make-ahead meal and stored in the freezer. The answer is, yes, you can freeze this soup.
Some people like to store their frozen soups in gallon-sized zippered bags and lay them flat in the freezer. Then, all you have to do is put them in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. When you are ready to cook the soup, put it in a large pot and heat it on the stove.
So get your soup pot (affiliate ad link) ready, we are going to make some delicious soup! There is just something comforting about a bowl of warm soup! Wouldn't you agree? I can smell that warm bowl of soup calling my name now! Perfect, for cool weather!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Rustic Potato Soup - Vegetarian Potato Soup
- 2 cups of cubed potatoes
- 1 cup of reserved water from potatoes
- medium onion
- 2 T butter
- 2 T all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 1½ cup shredded cheese
- Parsley and chopped green onions for garnish.
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Bring potatoes to a boil. Cook until done (soft) and drain. Be sure to reserve 1 cup of the potato water.
- Melt butter and saute onions.
- Next, stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually (slowly!) add the milk product and reserved potato water, while stirring.
- Bring to a boil. Boil until thick.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, slowly. Stir until melted.
- Add cooked potatoes.
- Garnish with parsley, green onions and season with salt and pepper!
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
*This post does contain an affiliate link.
Here is a peak at our old pictures!