Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes is the most crispy and delicious air fryer recipe you’ll find today! Ditch the deep fryer to give this Southern comfort food a healthier twist!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE AIR FRYER FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- CRISPY - These Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes have the ultimate crisp and without all the oil you find in traditional fried green tomatoes. This air fryer version is just as good as the deep fried Southern Classic, just without the add oil with deep frying! The air fried green tomatoes come out crispy and light, not weighed down by oil!
- The breading on these air fryer fried green tomatoes can be customized. If you do not want a lot of flavor because you will be using a dipping sauce, like garlic cilantro sauce or Mediterranean Sauce just use the recipe as is. But if the fried tomatoes will stand alone, you can elevate the flavor profile but adding in spices like cayenne, smoked paprika and garlic powder to the breading mixture!
- This is such an easy recipe. You are simply slicing green tomatoes, breading them and air frying. So simple, yet so delicious!
Tips for Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- This air fryer recipe pairs well with a dip, we linked a couple above, but also I love to dip them into ranch, you can also use sour cream or salsa!
- Want even crispier air fryer fried green tomatoes? Add a little more cooking spray to the breaded tomatoes before you add them into the air fryer AND also give them a spray once you flip them over midway through cooking. ProTip: Be sure to use an air fryer safe spray, I prefer avocado oil or light olive oil that I can spritz on. Typically any aerosolized spray (like PAM) contain harsh ingredients that will damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer basket.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES TO TRY
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are a foolproof method for baked potatoes with crispy skins and fluffy insides. You will fall in love with these air fried baked potatoes. They are perfectly cooked on the outside with crunchy skin and tender evenly cooked on the inside
- Air Fryer Pickles are like your favorite fair food, but with way less oil. This recipe uses the same type of breading, but on pickles! Which taste amazing dipped into ranch! Trust me!
- French Toast in the air fryer will make breakfast a breeze. Your kids will be begging for a second helping of this easy air fryer breakfast recipe!
- Be sure to visit our sister site, Air Fryer Eats for LOTS of easy and delicious Air Fryer Recipes!
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey - If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook, too!
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Slice tomatoes and place on a plate. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
- Whisk eggs and put into shallow bowl.
- Mix panko and cornmeal and place into a shallow bowl.
- Slowly dredge the tomato slices through the egg mixture then place into the panko mixture.
- Gently press the panko mixture on the top/bottom/sides of the tomato slices.
- Spray the air fryer basket with spray. Place up to 4 tomato slices in the basket. Spray the tops with spray.
- Air Fry at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes. Flip slices, spray again with spray and cook another 4 minutes.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
Old pictures! 🙂
I love fried green tomatoes need to try your recipe and buy me an air fryer soon. Thanks for all the tips on how to make this recipe in a successful way.
I just tried it and they were crispy on the outside but not done in the middle
Sounds like maybe your tomato slices were a little thick. When you try again I would try to do them thinner, then use a fork to poke into the center to see if they are soft when the timer goes off. If not cook an additional 1-2 minutes until soft 🙂
But you didnt give specifics
and temp or anything
like do you have to turn the tomatoes over?
Hello "tl" The directions are in #6 in the recipe card under the instructions word 🙂
I never knew that gf panko existed! This made my day. I have an air fryer gathering dust. I need to start using it.
Yes, sometimes you have to hunt for that gf panko but its out there. Amazon is the easiest way! 🙂
Now I wish I had an air fryer... this looks like such a healthy take on a great dish!
I love my air-fryer and use it often to actually re-heat fried green tomatoes. Now I am going to have to test out just making them in there after seeing your recipe. Thanks for the awesome directions too.
perfect timing! I have tomatoes in my garden and they are slow to ripen. I have to try them while still green!!
oh my I haven't had fried green tomatoes in years!!! I miss them now!! wish I could have some!
These look so delicious!
What kind if air fryer do you have? The tomatoes look delish. I'm contemplating getting an air fryer for the reason that I'm not sure if appliances like these alter the nutritional value of the food 🙁
I would love to hear your take on this concern of mine.
Thankyou in advance
Hello! I have a power air fryer Xl and a Cosori Air fryer. I like them both. I am not 100% but I would guess that the cooking does alter it some, especially due to the heat. The plus is that you aren't adding in oil like you might with other cooking methods 🙂
I want to try this recipe in my air fryer what kind of spray do I use.
Hi Dawn! You can use a spray olive oil or a spray avocado oil. I've used both and they work great. I prefer the avocado oil, but either works!
I love fried green tomatoes! I have never tried air tried before though, but they look yummy! I'll have to try air frying them next time!
I’m always looking for tasty veggie options! Thanks for this!!!
i havent fried things in months. but an air fryer we have been considering
We love ours!
I’d love to try this recipe...minus the eggs. I’ll have to research a substitute! Well...and buy an air fryer. 🤣
Sometimes I sub in maple syrup instead of eggs! I do that with fried pickles!
Yum!! This recipe looks delicious!! I love that it's gluten-free too! I've been looking at all these air fryer recipes lately and I think I'm just about convinced I need to go ahead and splurge on one already!
Yep, I think you need one! I don't think you'll regret it!
Can you use regular panko?
Yes, you can 🙂 🙂
I didn’t have cornmeal so I subbed breadcrumbs. Excellent!!
Fantastic! Thank you for stopping by and telling me how it went. I am so glad the sub worked deliciously and you loved it!
Looks yummy! I would love to know what your dip of choice recipe is.
Thank you so much, I typically make a sauce like this one: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/remoulade_sauce/
This recipe puts me in mind of my favorite movie - Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe!
I hadn't eaten green tomatoes in years and when I stumbled on your recipe, those memories came flooding back! I went to the farmers market and bought some green tomatoes.
This recipe is delicious and so easy! Definitely a winner in my house.
Didn’t like the way the breading came out need something light but give the light crunch
Sorry the breading didn't turn out to your liking, Lamont! Maybe next time try a different brand of breadcrumbs, or fresh might work out even better for you 🙂