Aquafaba Mousse is a vegan and egg-free alternative to traditional mousse. This chocolate aquafaba mousse uses dark chocolate and maple syrup to create a healthier, refined sugar free, vegan chocolate masterpiece.
AQUAFABA MOUSSE RECIPE
Aquafaba is such a innovative and handy way to create whipped desserts without the need for any eggs or dairy.
If you aren't familiar, aquafaba is a vegan egg replacer made from the water in canned beans. It can be whipped into a foam and used as an alternative to eggs in many different recipes, like meringue, macaroons, mayonnaise and mousse. The best part? It won't taste like beans at all! I promise.
This Chocolate Aquafaba Mousse uses the liquid from canned chickpeas, whipped up until it's light and fluffy. We'll mix that with melted dark chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla to create a creamy, light, fluffy dessert that is completely vegan and totally delicious.
Vegan Aquafaba Mousse takes about 15 minutes to make and then needs time in the fridge to set up. You'll love how simple this recipe is to make and how amazing and decadent the outcome is.
INGREDIENTS IN AQUAFABA MOUSE
Dark Chocolate Chips - You'll need 140 grams, or about 1 cup of your favorite and best chocolate chips. We're getting all of our rich, chocolatey flavor from these.
Almond Milk - We'll use this to help melt the chocolate into a smooth syrup. Use any plant based milk that you like. I often have Milkadamia on hand.
Aquafaba - 1 cup of aquafaba, or chickpea liquid will come from two 15 oz. can's of beans. Use the beans for something else!
Maple Syrup - Use a small amount of this vegan sweetener to get the flavor just right. If you prefer, you can add more or less, or leave it out.
Vinegar - This helps to stabilize the whipped aqufaba. You won't really taste it, the richness of the dark chocolate will overpower the tartness.
Vanilla Extract - Almost every dessert can benefit from a splash of this. Vanilla enhances the flavor of chocolate in this one.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE AQUAFABA MOUSSE
- Add almond milk and chocolate chips to a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave and stir at 30 second intervals, until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpea water (aquafaba) and vinegar. Whip with a hand-held mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and whip again until combined. Keep whipping until you achieve a stiff texture.
- Gently fold the aquafaba into the melted chocolate using a spatula. It's normal for the aquafaba to deflate a bit at this stage.
- Transfer to serving dishes and refrigerate for at least two hours or until set. Garnish with coconut whipped cream and cherries if desired.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AQUAFABA MOUSSE
I think that this dish is the perfect light, end of dinner dessert. Try it after enjoying one of these dinner recipes
Use your air fryer to make these marinated Air Fryer Mushrooms. Use large portabellas for a dinner portion and serve with a green salad.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie is a total comfort food meal that can serve a crowd.
For a dinner that the whole family will enjoy, make Sweet and Sour Tofu served with rice.
TROUBLESHOOTING AQUAFABA MOUSSE
If your aquafaba mousse isn't coming out quite right, there may be something wrong. Here are the most comment culprits:
Aquafaba isn't whipping - Make sure that your mixer and bowl are free of any oil. Also be sure to add the vinegar with the chickpea liquid for stabilization. Finally, start with cold aquafaba. Place it in the fridge for an hour before you start the recipe.
Aquafaba mousse is watery - this will happen if your aquafaba isn't whipped enough. Keep in mind that you can't overwhip aquafaba, so keep whipping until you get really stiff peaks.
Aquafaba mousse is grainy - This will happen if your chocolate is too hot when you add it in. Allow the chocolate and the aquafaba to both come close to room temperature before mixing them together.
HOW MUCH AQUAFABA IS IN A CAN OF CHICKPEAS?
Each can of chickpeas contains approximately ½ cup of liquid. For this recipe you'll need the liquid from two cans.
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE CHICKPEAS AFTER YOU MAKE AQUAFABA?
Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are perfect to add to salads or sandwiches. My favorite ways to use the chickpeas after making aquafaba is to make crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas, or this Vegan Chicken Salad as a sandwich spread.
MORE VEGETARIAN CHOCOLATE DESSERTS
Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies are packed with earthy flavor and sweet chocolate chips. They make a perfect afternoon snack.
For the perfect, simple, single-serve dessert, make Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake.
Do you really love a rich and creamy chocolate dessert? Vegan Panna Cotta fits the bill perfectly!
These vegan brownies look amazing too!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- 140 grams 70% Dark Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ cup Almond Milk or other plant based milk
- 1 cup Aquafaba from two cans of chickpeas
- 1-2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Vinegar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a bowl place the chocolate chips and almond milk.
- Microwave and stir at 30 second intervals, until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpea water (aquafaba) and vinegar. Whip with a hand-held mixer for about 10 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and whip again until well combined *aquafaba can't be overwhipped so keep going until you achieve a stiff texture.
- Gently fold the aquafaba into the melted chocolate with a spatula. (It's normal if the aquafaba deflates a bit).
- Transfer to serving glasses and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so the mousse can set. Remove from the fridge, garnish with coconut whipped cream and some fruits on top.
- I recommend placing the aquafaba in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before you start. because it tends to whip up better
- You can adjust the amount of sweetener to your own taste.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.
This delicious mousse was fluffy with the perfect texture! Next time I'll double the recipe. It's ideal for family gatherings.
Hello Denay, so glad you loved it!!
I just made hummus the other day, and had no idea what to do with the bean liquid! I'm so glad I found this recipe! Not only do I have a dip, I also have dessert all from 1 can of beans! Thank you so much for sharing this!
The recipe is so good. I didn't know that you could use vinegar in this. Thanks for sharing it.
I've been so intrigued by aquafaba as an ingredient for years now - had to make this to try it out and it does NOT disappoint!
I had no idea you could use the water from canned beans to make something else. Brilliant!
Absolutely fantastic find! Its taste, texture… the whole family loved it! 2nd time also added some chia seeds.
Thanks so much!! So glad you loved it!! Great idea with the chia seeds!