Hearty Tofu Chili is the best vegan comfort food. You can make this chili recipe in less than an hour with tons of succulent veggies and protein-packed beans.
TOFU CHILI RECIPE
Keep your meats, I love vegetarian chili. This Tofu Chili recipe is packed with beans and zucchini for a hearty meal in a bowl. Make your own chili seasoning with just 3 pantry staples!
Unlike most chili recipes, this chili is ready in less than an hour! It still tastes like it simmered all day. Make it spicy or keep it mild. There's no way to mess up this vegan chili!
When you have an (ad) EZ Tofu Press, it's so simple to make firm tofu every night! No need to spend time pressing your tofu by hand with this handy kitchen gadget. This post is sponsored by the EZ Tofu Press
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU CHILI
Tofu: You'll want firm or extra firm tofu for the crispiest "ground" tofu. While silken tofu breaks up easily, it will turn to mush pretty fast.
Oil: I use a little oil to get softened onions and zucchini before I add them to the soup pot.
Garlic: Everything tastes better with garlic! It brings a sweetness when it's sautéed.
Zucchini: I love zucchini in chili! It's one of the sweetest veggies, and that tenderness is awesome.
Onion: I always add onions to chili. It offers a sweet and savory addition to the vegan chili.
Diced tomatoes: I use canned diced tomatoes, but you can chop up some fresh ones if you have them to spare.
Great Northern beans: Sorry Texas, but my chili is always made with beans. I prefer white beans, but you can use kidney beans, pinto beans, or even black beans!
Chili powder: This is the necessary seasoning for a true chili soup. It's got a great smokiness without being spicy.
Italian seasoning: This is usually a blend of oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme.
Paprika: I love the subtle spice paprika adds! It's also got a hint of sweetness.
Water: I use water to thin out my chili. You can skip it or add veggie broth instead.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE TOFU CHILI
- First, sauté the zucchini and onions in oil until they're soft and translucent.
- Then, add the chili seasonings: chili powder, Italian seasoning, garlic, and paprika.
- Now, add the Great Northern beans.
- Next, add the canned diced tomatoes. Stir it all together and let the chili simmer.
- While the chili cooks, press your tofu! I use the EZ Tofu Press because I can do other things while my tofu liquid drains. When it's done, sear the firm tofu in a skillet, and mash it with a fork to crumble it.
- Once the tofu is golden brown, add it to the chili pot and cook a few more minutes.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOFU CHILI
With all the veggies and seasoned tofu, this meatless chili is a whole meal in one bowl! Add your favorite vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, or tortilla strips for a fun garnish.
Got leftover chili? Make chili dogs! It's such a tasty way to dress up vegan hot dogs with veggies and spices.
Love loaded baked potatoes? Add some chili to this air fryer baked potato! It's so fluffy and ready way faster than an oven recipe.
Keep the night simple with these deliciously easy air fried Oreos!
HOW TO PRESS TOFU
There are two ways to press tofu. You can use a Tofu Press or you can press your tofu by balancing heavy objects on top of it.
I prefer the tofu press method. It has been almost a decade that I have been using the EZ Tofu Press. I use it weekly and it continues to do an amazing job!
The EZ Tofu Press takes the liquid out of your firm or extra firm tofu easily, quickly, and with less mess than using plates and cans. This press utilizes simple mechanics and quality materials to ensure that it’s long-lasting and easy to use.
HOW LONG TO PRESS TOFU
WHAT IS THE BEST SECRET INGREDIENT FOR CHILI?
There are so many secret ingredients you can add to vegan chili to pack an extra punch.
If you're looking for liquid seasonings, try molasses, beer, liquid smoke, vinegar, or even soy sauce. Any of these can add a new depth to the soup.
One of my favorite secret ingredients to have on hand is espresso powder and cocoa powder. They add a great richness without being sweet. I've also known people to add cinnamon
MORE YUMMY TOFU RECIPES
There's so many ways to use tofu in soups. I love ditching the chicken for this super comforting Tofu Noodle Soup. My go-to cold remedy!
Did you know you can make tofu bacon? It's true! Bring the salty bits back to your favorite salads and soups.
Tofu also makes amazing Tofu Tacos which are a go-to for busy nights.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- EZ Tofu Press
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 block firm tofu
- Warm the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions and zucchini until they're translucent and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add in all remaining chili ingredients. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the chili is simmering, press your tofu with the EZ Tofu Press for 12 minutes. Tighten the knobs every 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a skillet, warm some oil. Add the tofu block to the skillet and mash with a fork. Sauté for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add crumbled tofu to chili pot and stir to combine. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Tofu Chili will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. Store in an airtight container.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.