Buffalo Tofu is the spicy, tangy tofu recipe your family will love! Make your own Buffalo sauce with just 4 ingredients to coat this crispy air fryer tofu that's ready in less than 30 minutes.
This post is sponsored by the EZ Tofu Press. All opinions are my own.
BUFFALO TOFU RECIPE
I've got a million ways to make tofu up my sleeve, but Buffalo Tofu is one of my all-time favs! You only need two ingredients to make this air fried tofu, and another 4 pantry staples to make the luscious buffalo sauce.
You can bake it, you can sauté it, but I love making tofu in the air fryer! It's so crispy in just a few minutes.
Tofu is a great option for a meatless meal, but it can be intimidating if you've never worked with it before. The EZ Tofu Press takes the liquid out of your firm or extra firm tofu easily and quickly. Seriously, this machine does all the hard work for you!
INGREDIENTS IN BUFFALO TOFU
Tofu: Tofu is my favorite alternative protein! It's packed with protein and all 9 essential amino acids.
Oil: You need just a little oil to help the cornstarch stick to the tofu bites.
Cornstarch: My secret to super crunchy tofu is cornstarch! A little on the outside of the cubes gives it that perfect fried texture without all the frying.
Buffalo sauce: You only need Frank's Red Hot Original hot sauce, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder for homemade Buffalo sauce. If you're on a plant-based diet, try my vegan Buffalo sauce!
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO TOFU
- First, use your E-Z Tofu Press to remove all the liquid from your firm tofu. Tighten the knobs every few minutes until it's totally gone.
- Then, chop up the tofu, and put it in a ziplock bag with some avocado oil and cornstarch. Shake, shake, shake! This helps make the tofu super crispy.
- When it's evenly coated, spread the tofu squares out in your air fryer basket. No air fryer? Make this in the oven instead!
- While the tofu cooks, mix together the butter, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce (regular or vegan!), and garlic powder for the buffalo sauce.
- Then, toss the air fried tofu in the buffalo sauce until everything is perfectly red and saucy.
- I love to serve this buffalo tofu with celery sticks, just like buffalo wings.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUFFALO TOFU
I always serve my buffalo tofu bites with crisp celery sticks for that cooling crunch.
If you need a side dish to bring the spice level down, this Amish potato salad is a must. It's just like Walmart's potato salad but made in your own kitchen!
HOW TO PRESS TOFU
There are two ways to press tofu. You can use a Tofu Press or you can press your tofu by balancing heavy objects on top of it.
I prefer the tofu press method. It has been almost a decade that I have been using the EZ Tofu Press. I use it weekly and it continues to do an amazing job!
The EZ Tofu Press takes the liquid out of your firm or extra firm tofu easily, quickly, and with less mess than using plates and cans. This press utilizes simple mechanics and quality materials to ensure that it’s long-lasting and easy to use.
HOW LONG TO PRESS TOFU
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK TOFU IN AN AIR FRYER?
When you are air frying tofu, you want to be sure all your pieces are the same size so they cook evenly. A little oil also helps them not stick to the basket.
I usually cook mine for about 12 minutes at 370 degrees F. This makes perfect tofu for me.
If you like crispier tofu, add a few more minutes. Keep checking and shaking your air fryer basket every few minutes so it doesn't burn.
MORE YUMMY TOFU RECIPES
I’ve had mine for years, and it is by far my favorite kitchen tool. This press is unique in that it is made from BPA free plastic and stainless steel so it won’t rust and will keep pressing for years to come.
The beauty of tofu is you can literally use it for anything! Add this baked tofu to your favorite salad or have it for a super simple weeknight dinner.
Going vegan doesn't mean losing all your favorite flavor profiles. Tofu bacon is the perfect BLT substitute to keep it plant-based.
- EZ Tofu Press
- Gallon ziplock bag
- Air Fryer
- Press the firm tofu for 12 minutes. Cut tofu into cubes.
- Put tofu cubes into gallon ziplock bag with oil and cornstarch. Shake to evenly coat tofu.
- Set air fryer to 370 degrees F (180 degrees C). Air fry tofu in a single layer in air fryer basket for 12 minutes.
- While tofu is cooking, mix together buffalo sauce ingredients.
- When tofu is done, put cubes into sauce bowl and stir or toss to coat. Serve with celery sticks.
- For crispier tofu, add a few minutes.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.