This Tofu Bacon recipe will make you think you're eating the real thing! All the flavor is mixed into a deliciously savory and sweet marinade that fills the tofu with the salty bacon taste!
TOFU BACON RECIPE
This post is sponsored by the EZ Tofu Press
I love the flavor that bacon can add to a dish, and this Tofu Bacon recipe gives me all the bacon flavor without the meat and fat of bacon!
The liquid smoke brings in that smoked flavor, the maple syrup adds that sweetness, and the garlic salt and onion powder bring the savory side to this vegetarian and vegan treat!
Trying to get your kids to try tofu? These Kid-Friendly Tofu Bites are totally kid-approved and a great way to start the tofu journey with a little maple syrup marinade and BBQ dipping sauce!
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU BACON
Extra Firm Tofu - Using extra firm tofu gives your bacon the right amount of texture.
Coconut Aminos - similar to soy sauce, but gluten free, coconut aminos add a dark color and an umami flavor.
Maple Syrup - Pure maple syrup gives a hint of maple flavor to your smoky tofu bacon
Liquid Smoke - This stuff is amazing for giving a smoked flavor to anything you add it to.
Smoked Paprika - A bit more smoke flavor and a reddish color from the paprika.
Garlic Salt - Yum! Salt and garlic powder in one. I always have some of this on hand.
Onion Powder - Onion powder gives a warm, oniony flavor to this dish.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE TOFU BACON
It's all in the marinade in this recipe, so the longer you can let the pressed tofu marinate in the delicious bacon-flavoring sauce, the stronger the flavor will be!
- Add coconut aminos to a shallow bowl you'll use to marinate the tofu.
- Then, add liquid smoke and maple syrup to the bowl.
- Finally, add smoked paprika, garlic salt, and onion powder to the bowl.
- Whisk sauce to combine seasonings well.
- Add pressed tofu to bowl and marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. If you have time for 2 hours, do it!
- Place marinated tofu on parchment paper on a baking sheet and cook as directed, flipping tofu halfway through cooking. Serve and enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO USE A TOFU PRESS
New to the tofu press? No problem! It's a cinch to work and gives you so many more options for at home vegetarian and vegan dishes! We love the EZ Tofu Press.
Put the tofu in the press and apply pressure, turning the press on its side. You're looking for the excess liquid to drain away, so placing it next to the sink is ideal. Tighten the screws or increase the lid pressure every few minutes for up to about 15 minutes of total pressure.
When you're done, just release the block and you're ready to go! Most tofu presses are dishwasher safe, but check yours to be sure.
HOW TO SERVE TOFU BACON
This recipe gives a delicious bacon flavor to the flavor-absorbing tofu, so anywhere you'd have bacon or meat is great for this! As you can see, I love a BLT, and these marinated tofu planks are perfect for sandwiches.
This recipe can also be crumbled like bacon bits and added to salads, an omelette, or even macaroni and cheese! The options are endless with this delicious Tofu Bacon recipe for all times of day!
MORE TOFU RECIPES TO TRY
Honey Sriracha Tofu is an amazing main dish with sweet and spicy flavors.
Learn the best way to make Crispy Tofu with this simple recipe.
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos are perfect for a grab and go morning meal.
I love using leftover rice to make Tofu Fried Rice with lots of veggies.
Air Fryer Tofu Tacos are perfect for Taco Tuesday or really any day of the week!
Yay! You have made it this far, and I am so glad! Hey - If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a quick review & star rating ★ below. Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook, too!
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- Place tofu into a tofu press. Tighten the knobs every 3 to 4 minutes, pressing for a total of 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the tofu is pressing, gather all other ingredients and whisk into a marinade.
- Remove the tofu from the press. Cut block in half and slice into ¼-inch planks.
- Place the planks and marinade into a shallow bowl. Marinate tofu from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- After marinating, place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place marinated tofu planks on parchment paper.
- Bake tofu at 400°F for about 20 minutes, flipping tofu halfway through cooking.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.