Instant Pot Brown Rice: Making perfectly cooked brown rice doesn't have to be a science! Let your Instant Pot do the work! You'll get fluffy, perfectly cooked rice every time!
INSTANT POT BROWN RICE RECIPE
Instant Pot Brown Rice is an easy, low effort way to make the fluffiest brown rice!
If you've made brown rice before, you probably know that it's not as easy to cook as white rice, and that it's quite different in texture and taste. Luckily, the Instant Pot makes perfect brown rice with little effort on your part. Brown rice is nutritious and is a great addition to Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers!
This Instant Pot rice recipe is so easy to make! All you need is brown rice, water, and a little salt for flavor. Follow these instructions to make the fluffiest pressure cooker brown rice.
INGREDIENTS IN INSTANT POT BROWN RICE
Brown Rice - Use your favorite brand.
Water - Follow the recipe below to know exactly how much water to use for perfect brown rice.
Salt - Optional, but why not season the rice while it's cooking?
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BROWN RICE
- First, rinse your rice. Add it to a large mesh strainer and run it under cold water to remove any excess debris and starch.
- Add your rinsed rice to the inner pot of your pressure cooker.
- Pour water into the pressure cooker pot. For 2 cups of rice, add 2.5 cups of water.
- Add salt to the Instant Pot to season your brown rice.
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker and set the valve to the "sealing" position. Cook on manual (high pressure) as directed in the recipe.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking the rice, allow a natural pressure release for 16 minutes, then carefully move the steam valve to the "release" position and remove the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving or adding to your favorite dish.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH INSTANT POT BROWN RICE
I often serve rice with Asian style dishes such as my Sweet and Sour Tofu.
IS BROWN RICE HEALTHY?
Brown rice is a nutritious whole grain! It's a great source of many nutrients such as magnesium, manganese, and vitamin B6 and phosphorous, among others. It's high in fiber, since it contains the bran and germ of the rice granule, which makes it a filling grain that supports heart health, digestion, and blood health.
IS BROWN RICE LOW CARB?
Brown rice is not low carb - in fact, it contains just as many carbs as white rice. However, white rice is essentially brown rice stripped of its bran & germ, which in turn removes most of its nutrients. While brown rice may not be a recommended food for a lower carb lifestyle, it's a heart-healthy, nutrient rich grain that is a fantastic addition to a balanced diet.
DO YOU HAVE TO SOAK BROWN RICE BEFORE COOKING?
Soaking brown rice is not a necessary step before cooking, but I do recommend rinsing it well. Technically, you can soak your brown rice for 8 hours or overnight before cooking it if you want to make it more digestible, but you'll still get all of the health benefits of brown rice without soaking.
Rinsing rice before cooking it helps to remove any excess debris such as dirt, dust, or grit that may be leftover from the hulling and packaging processes. All you need is a mesh strainer, cold water, and a minute or two to thoroughly rinse your brown rice. You can add it right to your Instant Pot while still wet, so there's very little prep needed!
MORE EASY INSTANT POT RECIPES TO TRY:
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes is one of the quickest and easiest ways I've found to cook sweet potatoes.
Serve Instant Pot Baked Beans at a barbecue or outdoor cookout.
Instant Pot Taco Soup is like a warm hug on a cold day.
Rice is a budget friendly food! It is a great staple to keep on hand and perfect when you are working with a food budget. Ready to stock up? Frozen mixed vegetables and black beans are also inexpensive staples.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Place the brown rice into a mesh strainer and rinse under cold water.
- Add the wet rice to the inner pot of your pressure cooker, then pour in the 2.5 cups of water. Add the salt to season.
- Secure the lid to your pressure cooker and set the steam valve to the "sealing" position.
- Set the Instant Pot to "manual" and adjust the cook time to 22 minutes. Cook on high pressure. Your pressure cooker will come to pressure on its own and will beep when finished cooking.
- When the rice is done cooking, allow a natural release for 16 minutes, then carefully set the steam valve to the "release" position and allow all of the steam to escape before opening.
- Gently remove the Instant Pot lid and fluff the cooked brown rice with a fork before serving.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.