Looking for a fun takeout-style recipe that you can make at home? Try this delicious and hearty vegan burrito! They’re filled with protein and veggies to keep you satisfied on the go!
A vegan burrito is one of my favorite quick and easy dinner or lunch ideas. These burritos are filled with lots of yummy and healthy ingredients, and taste even better than the ones you have to stand in line to get!
What goes in a vegan burrito?
There are so many different ways to fill a burrito. Typically, a burrito has some combination of beans and vegetables inside, and sometimes rice too.
This vegan burrito recipe is packed with rice and a sauteed mixture of seasoned red onion, bell pepper, corn, and black beans.
How to Make Vegan Burrito Filling
- Place a skillet on your stove over medium heat and add oil to the pan. Add diced onion and cook until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the bell pepper and continue to saute until softened.
- Add the corn to the skillet and mix all of the ingredients together to combine.
- Gently stir in the black beans and continue to cook for a minute to let all of the ingredients heat through.
- Add your spices to the burrito filling and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
- Warm some soft tortillas, then fill them with cooked rice and your sauteed vegan burrito filling. Roll up your burritos, then serve and enjoy!
These burritos are great because you can customize them to your tastes. Want to change the filling up? Use my seasoned black beans recipe for extra flavor, or saute some Beyond Meat for extra protein. You can also serve with guacamole or your favorite vegan sour cream. Add salsa or taco sauce for some added kick if you prefer.
If you’re not sure how to roll up a burrito, check out this tutorial on Youtube!
Check here to learn how to make burritos in the air fryer!
Can you freeze burritos?
Yes! Burritos are the perfect meal prep food because you can easily freeze and reheat them. They’re a great handheld option for eating on-the-go, so you can make sure that you’re getting a filling and nutritious meal when you don’t have much time for lunch.
To freeze your vegan burritos, roll them up tightly and wrap them in aluminum foil. Freeze the burritos in a single layer on a sheet tray, seam side down, then place them in a large zip lock bag in your freezer.
Frozen burritos are best when eaten within 3 months of freezing.
Reheating a Frozen Vegan Burrito
When you’re ready to reheat your vegan burritos, you can reheat them in your microwave or oven. Here’s how you do it:
- Microwave method: Remove the aluminum foil and place them in your microwave on a plate. You can wrap the burritos in a damp paper towel before microwaving if you want super soft tortillas. Heat for 2-3 minutes until the center is warmed through. The burritos will be hot, so let them cool for a minute before eating.
- Oven method: Preheat your oven to Keep the frozen burritos wrapped in the aluminum foil and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
What to Serve with Burritos:
These vegan burritos aren’t just great as a handheld snack. You can turn your burritos into a complete meal by serving side dishes with Mexican flavors. Here are a few ideas:
You can also add a simple salad of shredded lettuce, tomato, and avocado on the side just like they do at your favorite Mexican restaurant! Sip on some Ginger Lime Iced Tea and serve a decadent Skillet Cookie afterward for a sweet treat! If you are wanting to skip the wrap you could make Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls!
Do you LOVE a good Mexican style meal? Check out some of my other Latin inspired recipes:
- Mexican Rice Casserole
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Tortilla Soup
- Black Bean and Guacamole Tacos
- Chili Lime Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- In a medium sized skillet, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Saute the red onion & bell pepper.
- When the onion & bell pepper are softened, add in the corn & black beans and stir to combine.
- Add the spices to the mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Continue heating until the mixture is hot.
- Warm the tortillas, then place your desired amount of cooked rice & the black bean mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll into burritos, then serve with salsa & guacamole or your preferred garnishes.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.