Looking for a fun takeout-style recipe that you can make at home? Try this delicious and hearty vegan burrito! They're filled with protein and veggies to keep you satisfied on the go!
VEGAN BURRITO RECIPE
A vegan burrito is one of my favorite quick and easy dinner or lunch ideas. These burritos are filled with lots of yummy and healthy ingredients, and taste even better than the ones you have to stand in line to get!
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN BURRITOS
There are so many different ways to fill a burrito. Typically, a burrito has some combination of beans and vegetables inside, and sometimes rice too.
Oil - Used to sautee the vegetables in the burrito filling.
Red Onion - I love the little bit of kick that red onion adds.
Bell Pepper - Use whatever color you like. I like Red, but yellow, orange or green bell peppers would all be delicious in this recipe.
Corn- You can use any type of cooked corn you like. Fresh off the cob, thawed from the freezer, or from a can, rinsed.
Black Beans - Use canned black beans, or cook your own.
Cumin- A classic mexican flavor, this is a must for any burrito recipe.
Smoked Paprika - One of my favorite spices. Smoked paprika gives a hint of spice and a lot of smoky flavor.
Oregano- Oregano adds more flavor to the already flavorful filling. Dried or fresh will work.
Rice- Cook your rice ahead of time. White, brown, whatever you like.
Tortillas - Use a gluten free tortilla. Choose larger, burrito sized ones so that these are easy to roll up.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BURRITO FILLING
- Place a skillet on your stove over medium heat and add oil to the pan. Add diced onion and cook until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the bell pepper and continue to saute until softened.
- Add the corn to the skillet and mix all of the ingredients together to combine.
- Gently stir in the black beans and continue to cook for a minute to let all of the ingredients heat through.
- Add your spices to the burrito filling and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
- Warm some soft tortillas, then fill them with cooked rice and your sauteed vegan burrito filling. Roll up your burritos, then serve and enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
If you're not sure how to roll up a burrito, check out this tutorial on Youtube!
VARIATIONS ON VEGAN BURRITOS
These burritos are great because you can customize them to your tastes. Want to change the filling up? Use my seasoned black beans recipe for extra flavor, or saute some Beyond Meat for extra protein.
You can also serve with guacamole or your favorite vegan sour cream. Add salsa or taco sauce for some added kick if you prefer.
CAN YOU FREEZE BURRITOS?
Yes! Burritos are the perfect meal prep food because you can easily freeze and reheat them. They're a great handheld option for eating on-the-go, so you can make sure that you're getting a filling and nutritious meal when you don't have much time for lunch.
To freeze your vegan burritos, roll them up tightly and wrap them in aluminum foil. Freeze the burritos in a single layer on a sheet tray, seam side down, then place them in a large zip lock bag in your freezer.
Frozen burritos are best when eaten within 3 months of freezing.
REHEATING A FROZEN VEGAN BURRITO
When you're ready to reheat your vegan burritos, you can reheat them in your microwave or oven. Here's how you do it:
- Microwave method: Remove the aluminum foil and place them in your microwave on a plate. You can wrap the burritos in a damp paper towel before microwaving if you want super soft tortillas. Heat for 2-3 minutes until the center is warmed through. The burritos will be hot, so let them cool for a minute before eating.
- Oven method: Preheat your oven to Keep the frozen burritos wrapped in the aluminum foil and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BURRITOS:
These vegan burritos aren't just great as a handheld snack. You can turn your burritos into a complete meal by serving side dishes with Mexican flavors. Here are a few ideas:
Vegan Sweet Corn Pudding is a beautiful side dish that goes well with Mexican dishes.
Add a desert to your meal with Sweet Cinnamon Apples.
Air Fryer Mexican Corn on the Cob is a classic street food dish that I love to make in the summertime.
You can also add a simple salad of shredded lettuce, tomato, and avocado on the side just like they do at your favorite Mexican restaurant! If you are wanting to skip the wrap you could make Easy Vegan Burrito Bowls!
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- In a medium sized skillet, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Saute the red onion & bell pepper.
- When the onion & bell pepper are softened, add in the corn & black beans and stir to combine.
- Add the spices to the mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Continue heating until the mixture is hot.
- Warm the tortillas, then place your desired amount of cooked rice & the black bean mixture on each tortilla.
- Roll into burritos, then serve with salsa & guacamole or your preferred garnishes.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.