Tofu croutons are the crunchy topping your salads need! These simple vegan croutons are crispy and golden brown with a delicious creamy center.
This post is sponsored by the EZ Tofu Press.
TOFU CROUTONS RECIPE
Do you love easy tofu recipes? You have come to the right place! I love making these crispy Tofu Croutons for all my salads and soups, too. You only need a handful of ingredients to make the best salad topper.
I was sick of searching the store for vegan croutons, so I started making my own. Bread is great, but tofu adds the perfect crunch with a creamy center, too. Plus, I love the added protein to any dish!
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU CROUTONS
Tofu: You want to use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe. I love soft tofu, but it cannot be breaded and fried to a crisp well.
Lemon juice: You can use fresh or store-bought lemon juice for this recipe. I prefer fresh because it adds a brighter flavor. You usually need just 1 juicy lemon for a tablespoon of juice. Pro tip: Gently roll the lemon around on your countertop or cutting board before cutting for the most juice.
Flour: I use gluten-free all purpose flour in my kitchen whenever I can. You can use regular all purpose flour or an alternative flour instead.
Nutritional yeast: I love the cheesy flavor nutritional yeast adds to these vegan croutons.
Seasonings: This recipe just calls for a little salt and pepper, but you can use any seasoning blend to put these tofu croutons in every salad! Try an Italian seasoning blend for a zesty, herbaceous crouton. Or use a little chili powder and cumin for a taco salad.
If you have any questions about tofu croutons, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CROUTONS
- First, use a tofu press to get all the moisture out of the firm tofu. After about 15 minutes, cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Then, put the cubed tofu in a mixing bowl and drizzle it with lemon juice. Toss to cover the tofu well.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Now, add the tofu to the mix and gently stir to coat all sides of the cubes.
- Finally, sauté the breaded tofu cubes in a skillet until crispy and golden brown on the outside but soft on the inside.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for the best tofu croutons, please see the recipe below.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOFU CROUTONS
WHY WON'T MY TOFU GET CRISPY?
There are so many reasons why your tofu may not be perfectly crisp! These tips are great for tofu beginners.
First, start with the tofu itself. You want a firm or extra firm tofu. Be sure to press all the water out of the block before chopping it up. You can dry the block with a paper towel for the best results, too.
When you sauté the tofu, you only want to use a little oil. Too much oil will make the tofu soggy. Also, be sure to leave plenty of room in the pan! Overcrowding will lead to steamed tofu — and that is not crunchy at all!
If you follow this tofu crouton recipe, I promise you will have crispy tofu every time!
HOW TO PRESS TOFU
There are two ways to press tofu. You can use a Tofu Press or you can press your tofu by balancing heavy objects on top of it.
I prefer the tofu press method. It has been almost a decade that I have been using the EZ Tofu Press. I use it weekly and it continues to do an amazing job!
The EZ Tofu Press takes the liquid out of your firm or extra firm tofu easily, quickly, and with less mess than using plates and cans. This press utilizes simple mechanics and quality materials to ensure that it’s long-lasting and easy to use.
HOW LONG TO PRESS TOFU
Save room for dessert! These sweet potato brownies are totally vegan, gluten-free, and absolutely delicious. This decadent dessert recipe is so easy to make and packed with natural ingredients and tons of chocolate chips.
Hearty Tofu Chili is the best vegan comfort food. You can make this chili recipe in less than an hour with tons of succulent veggies and protein-packed beans.
Dress up your favorite plant-based protein with this tofu and broccoli stir fry recipe! The homemade sauce is ab
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment AND rating below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @VegetarianMamma on instagram, if you share a picture on the gram! Let's get social, you can follow me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or join one of our Facebook Groups: Tasty Vegetarian Recipes and Vegetarian Air Fryer Recipes.
Don't forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- Tofu press
- Sauté pan
- Press the tofu with the EZ Tofu Press. Cut tofu into small cubes, about ½ inch thick.
- Place the tofu in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice.
- In another medium bowl, mix flour, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper together. Then add cubes, and gently stir to coat each side of the tofu.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes or until cubes are golden brown on the outside but still soft on the inside.
- To keep the croutons, you can store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 5 days. Also, if frozen, they’ll stay fresh for 3 months!
- Use extra-firm or firm tofu instead of soft or silken varieties since it has a better chance of maintaining its shape when cooked.
- You can have fun experimenting by adding different spices like dry thyme, oregano, garlic powder, or onion powder.
All though this website attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, the information should only be considered an estimate. Varying factors such as different product types, different brands, etc. can change nutritional information. It is your responsibility as a consumer to read all labels to make sure the ingredients fit your dietary needs as well as calculate your own nutritional information as a double check.